primo conditions!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beats sittin at home no matter what you find. well done nice pics

awesome . cheers guys might just keep the pics to our selves next time and just write a writen report instead of pics , as for perfect conditions , it was last night for what we were looking for , we have seen a few stephens banded's lately though , the last 2 times we saw them the first time the batteries were dead and the second we forgot the camera , easy to do when you have 4 kids with you :D
sativa we love the pics post em anytime ;)

Very nice, must have been a good nite for herping, my brother went for a drive up that way last nite and found a Death Adder, Carpets, Small eyeds and Blind snakes.

awesome . cheers guys might just keep the pics to our selves next time and just write a writen report instead of pics ,

Yeah I don't blame ya bro, you wouldn't get a word in edgeways with a hammer and chisel with some eh!
Looks like you had a good nite.

AWESOME Pictures!! Thank you SO much for posting them. Are Bandi bandi's poisonous?? Are they allowed to be kept, I guess is what I am asking?

I can understand why you don't want to put the pictures up next time. Maybe you could blur or delete the tongs to make certain people happy. But personally, I don't care WHAT you use, just keep showing us the awesome selection you have been lucky enough to find. PLEASE!!! :) :p

AWESOME Pictures!! Thank you SO much for posting them. Are Bandi bandi's poisonous?? Are they allowed to be kept, I guess is what I am asking?

I can understand why you don't want to put the pictures up next time. Maybe you could blur or delete the tongs to make certain people happy. But personally, I don't care WHAT you use, just keep showing us the awesome selection you have been lucky enough to find. PLEASE!!! :) :p
wild , all im saying is that what is the point ? what you guys forget is that you are the same as me , you get excited when you see a snake , or lizard , or frog,or anything !!! who really gives a flying **** what i use? because everyone is prone to using something one time or another yeah!!!?(besides the fact that reptiles have been my passion for 23 years and i would definetly go out of my way to **** one up with tongs , lol , get a grip
) i forgot that everyone is an expert on ecology on here , im just an every day person (like you)that loves there reptiles , as if i could ever ****ing hurt them ....QUOTE, if you see my ****ing tongs in a pic again!!! IM NOT DOING ANY DAMAGE YEAH? and i never will ... cheers guys :D ill post some more on the weekend,as to your question about the bandi's yes there an elapid and no im not to sure on licenses as iv never had one :D cheers

Sativa,,,Mate i am hearing ya!!! Dont worry man,, some people just aint got nuthin better to do than be "know it alls" must demented childhood or sumthin i guess,, Its not so much whats being said its how!! This is suposed to be a place of nurturing & sharing,, Sadley a few wrek it for everyone,, Just keep moving on like water of a ducks back....ill come out herping with ya anyday!!

Bandi's are mildly venomous, don't usually bite even with careless free handling. They live off a diet of blindsnakes, so would be a bastard to keep, thus very few bother.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: show the posts that we were to hard on him huh?"good to hear that you dont use them as tongs ,besides the damage that can be done to snakes like bone breaking, tearing of the skin etc..you also stress the snake out it goes straight into a threat mode as it feels under attack so you have a agro snake on hand ,which becomes a dangerous situation and then it also gives people a false sense of security which isnt good either...snake hooks are easy to make you can get old golf clubs and cut the club off at the end shape a bit of wire and weld the tip onto the stick ...or thick plyable wire can be bent into shape as long as there are no sharp slags left on wire that works too.." is what i replied to him when he said he didnt use them like that ...no where was i attacking him ...you lot did more attacking me and saratoga for pointing out the obvious:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I for one just LOVE the "holier than thou" attitude some people seem to possess. Sativa, you explained the reason for having tongs in the photo quite clearly and I for one could actually read and understand that. Redbellybite, did you take that name based on some of your past "tailing" exercises?

it is a real shame that nearly every thread ends up in someone having a go at someone else.
if some one does something that isnt the other persons way of doing it, you will be hit with a page of desent
a herp community ..........where people come together.
then get ripped to shreds..........and shot out of a cannon
into the sun.

Maybe there's no "attacking happening", but I dont see why there has to be a lecture about the evils of tongs when he's made it pretty clear he knows what the problems are with them and has said he doesn't use them "as tongs". Incidentally however, Kris has been talking to a couple of relocators recently have always been die hard anti-tong people and they mentioned the fact that there is a new brand on the market which they themselves have tried and said they're much more user and snake friendly and would consider purchasing them. When someone with 40 years experience throws the idea out there....I tend to take it into consideration :lol:

Oh by the way, nice find Sativa ;) Sorry to go OT by bringing your herping trip up :lol: I do so love those Bandy Bandy's, must be the Collingwood fan in me coming out.

Coz666, they're not getting shot out into the sun you ignoramus, everyone knows you can only catapault people at night. FFS :rolleyes: :lol:

what was wrong in pointing out why tongs are so bad ? saratoga and myself didnt call him any names ,didnt attack him in anyway ,but stated what was obvious ...he made a point he has only ever used it once as a tong grip on a eastern brown,and other then that he uses it as a hook ,to which i replied thats good to hear.;..how was that a put down? ...this forum is about learning as well as putting your 2cents in ,ok sativa may know the risks of what tongs can do ,but the sad thing is you can still buy these on the net and for others that werent sure of the damage and dangerous situations it can put snake and human in ,would be able to read why its not advised to use them....so half of you get off your soap boxes cause truth be told you dont have a clue and clearly are just mob minded and go along with anything just to get you name up in a post !..the tongs he has arent the new ones on the market

Righto righto folks.

Am i the only one who doesn't believe Sativa for a second??? Why would you take them and not use them? They would not make an easy to use hook, even a bent coat hanger works better. I don't even see a genuine need to take a hook let alone tongs when 'photographing' herps (Although i would take a hook with me lol).

This 'lecture' happens every time we see tongs being used inappropriately because we need to encourage best practice and educate people who don't know better. And there are alot of people out there who don't know better. Sativa take it on the chin, accept the advice and better yourself from it. Don't crack the sads because you copped a bit of criticism, we all get it at one stage or another.

With that said though there are times when tongs are needed and they have saved my pale behind a couple of times. The tongs however do need to be heavily modified so they can't do damage to the snake. One of the most skilled catchers i know always takes a set with him on call outs, hardly ever uses them but always takes them.

Once you've herped for a while, you will find that most "hard to find" species do follow some fairly specific patterns that are dependant on various weather based stimulus...moon phase, humidity, air pressure, temperature etc. For the common species such as those found by the poster of this thread, they are far less sensitive than SEQ species such as Death Adders, Tiger Snakes, Coral Snakes and Stephens Bandeds.

As an example, we herped the Brigalow about a fortnight ago, two nights in a row. The first night was absolutely perfect - new moon, humid, warm and overcast with patchy storms around the place. As we expected we did really well - almost twenty species of reptile from nine families in about 6 hours. The next night I went out again, not checking the weather details...the rain had passed and the night was clear, causing the temperature to plummet and the humidity to disappear. Only 7 species from 4 families were found along the same roads at the same times as the night before.

You really sound like you know your stuff Jonno. It sounds like you'd be one of the more experienced members and you'd sure as eggs be one worth gaining info and knowledge from.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been keeping repltiles for and what sort of background do you have.

I'm still pretty "green" and learning as I go.

Its great having experienced people like yourself about. Top work bloke. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back