Products to get in America

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazordous-Herps

Reaction score
Hey, I am going to New York over the Christmas holidays, and while I'm over there I'm looking to bring back some Exo Terra items. As over here the pet shops are so expensive, and I know they are a lot cheaper over in the US. So what Exo Terra equipment would be worth getting while I'm over there. Just want some opinions, thanks.

depends on what reptile & amphibians you keep, fake plants might be a good option? :)

heat pads are at least $20 cheaper over there than they are here. I was on a US forum the other day and there was the exact heat pad I bought for $30 for only $8.....
Fake plants, vines, natural-looking water bowls, water fountains for froggies and geckos. There is so much that is cheaper over there!!!!!!! It really depends on what herps you have and what they need or would benefit them :)

Heat pads, radiator panels, thermostats are cheaper over there. Then there are hides, water bowls and waterfalls as well. Remember to pack light do you can buy lots of stuff.

Heat pads, radiator panels, thermostats are cheaper over there. Then there are hides, water bowls and waterfalls as well. Remember to pack light do you can buy lots of stuff.
problem with buying electrical items is that it may not be 240v like we use here , i think america is 110v −120v

Oh yeah, they have a different connection, don't they? My heat pad was like that, all you do is buy a $1 adapter that you plug the heatmat into and then into the power point. It's no biggy :) You can get these adapters off eBay, not sure what they are called though.....

Please twll me you're kidding. Yes there are some product s that are 110-240v where you can just get a plug but dont put a 110v product into a 240v power socket. They are not rated for it.

Oh yeah, they have a different connection, don't they? My heat pad was like that, all you do is buy a $1 adapter that you plug the heatmat into and then into the power point. It's no biggy :) You can get these adapters off eBay, not sure what they are called though.....

oh, no! I wasn't talking about that!!!! I was talking about the different shapes of the sockets. How America's is straight like this: l l and Austalia's is facing inward like this:
/ \......sorry should have clarified a bit more. NO WAY would I suggest putting a 110v into a 240v.
My bad, should have clarified :p Sorry for the confusion :/

So I shouldn't buy lights over there, would heat mats also be a problem or are they fine?

As previously mentioned, anything electrical is a no-go. Unless it also runs at 240v (which most won't), you can't just plug it in here. Be careful bringing back bulk goods, too. My brother bought quite a few toys when he was over there a few years ago. When he came through customs he got hit with a tax bill that was close to double what he had originally paid for the items. Perhaps he was just unlucky, but it's still something to think about.

I forgot America used a different voltage. Probably safer just buying plants and bowls, etc. :) I don't have any American electricals bit I have a few from when I went to britain with socket adaptors.

oh, no! I wasn't talking about that!!!! I was talking about the different shapes of the sockets. How America's is straight like this: l l and Austalia's is facing inward like this:
/ \......sorry should have clarified a bit more. NO WAY would I suggest putting a 110v into a 240v.
My bad, should have clarified :p Sorry for the confusion :/
yes the plugs are also different , but so is the power voltage thats the main reason i said what i said , an adaptor is cheap or even just a new aussie plug wired on but setting up power convertors just to save a few bucks is a little pointless imo

so yes op id steer clear of anything electrical , just more hassle than its worth

- - - Updated - - -

As previously mentioned, anything electrical is a no-go. Unless it also runs at 240v (which most won't), you can't just plug it in here. Be careful bringing back bulk goods, too. My brother bought quite a few toys when he was over there a few years ago. When he came through customs he got hit with a tax bill that was close to double what he had originally paid for the items. Perhaps he was just unlucky, but it's still something to think about.
they usually do that when the item exceeds $1000 or when you have more than one of a particular item (that makes them think re-sale) , been travelling to indo since i was about 8 so dealt with customs plenty of times , some may be in a bad mood to so its good to know what your rights are as we've gotten to keep things that one person has tried to take off us only to have one of their seniors tell them its fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back