Progress for Jörmungandr

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
Quick update: my little Pretzel ate for the third time with my tonight. The previous two times his food was left in the enclosure overnight.

Today for the first time he struck, wrapped and ate normally - while boat and pony show. I managed to watch the whole thing, I was very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is better if they take the prey ,I am not keen on leaving food overnight.If they don't take it from you while warm and moving why would they pick up something cold laying on the floor? Snakes are not scavengers like bluies or monitors.

Excellent to hear! Try not to get too hooked now...before you know it you've got multiple animals and no room left in the house!

it is better if they take the prey ,I am not keen on leaving food overnight.If they don't take it from you while warm and moving why would they pick up something cold laying on the floor? Snakes are not scavengers like bluies or monitors.

My preference would have been for him to take the food straight up but initially he wouldn’t so I was advised to try leaving it in overnight. On both occasions that I fed him that what I heard him take the food within minutes of putting it in.

But now that he has it seems likely he will continue to doing so.

Excellent to hear! Try not to get too hooked now...before you know it you've got multiple animals and no room left in the house!

I will try my best, fortunately don’t really have the room for any additional animals. Will have to content myself with young Jörmungandr, Spock the turtle and Ruby the poodle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd be very interested to know where you got that info from. Like many reptiles, snakes can be just as opportunistic as anything else, and will readily eat roadkill when it's encountered (and often it's not even fresh...), so scavenging is not unusual. You are suggesting that they won't eat something they haven't killed themselves, but to turn their noses up at an easy meal, that they haven't had to risk their life biting and killing, would be a big risk, considering they might not get another meal for months. So leaving it in the enclosure overnight, if that's the way the snake eats more readily, is fine. Surely it's important not HOW it eats, but THAT it eats...

Jamie

Common that youngsters are more defensive and thus prefer to eat when it's still/quiet.
Plenty of them take several months before they build enough confidence to eat readily as soon as food is offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back