1. Hi there Guest, thanks for visiting the site. Due to changes in circumstances, finances and having run this page for several years, Aussie Pythons and Snakes will be shut down on August 1st. If you or anyone you know would be interested in owning and running one of Australias Longest running Pythons and Snakes forums then please get in touch with Stuart via PM. Thank you for your support over years and please know that this decision has not been made lightly. Regards, Stuart

Proposed New QLD license system!

Discussion in 'Reptile News' started by Herptology, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

I need to contact QFL...

"Unfortunately, in consultation with the New South Wales Government and key stakeholders, the department was informed that Manning River turtles were not kept in the hobby or rarely presented on a licence. This is why they are not present on any of the species lists in the Decision Regulatory Impact Statement. The department also considered factors such as the conservation status of a species and knowledge of husbandry requirements in determining which keeping class, if any, a species could appropriately be listed under."

What a joke...here's their status... CRITICALLY ENDANGERED! LET'S STOP ONE OF THE ONLY PROVEN CAPTIVE BREEDERS OF THE SPECIES FROM OPERATING, it's pure genius!

2. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

You are an excellent example of these new regulations being crazy and ill-considered. If this is brought to the attention of a large number of keepers and the department, and the department knows people know the situation, it will really put them under pressure not to push through these changes. If you look at it as a 'there are many problems which will affect many people' issue, it'll be easier to get many people involved. If it's just every man for himself it's more likely that you'll be stuck with something like 'Okay, we won't have a total back down, but you can have a permit to keep yours and sell them to people who have a permit to keep them, none of which will be in QLD'.

Obviously it's crazy to force you to stop reproducing an endangered species, and obviously many other aspects of the new system are crazy, and if everyone works together to oppose them, there's a higher chance of success.

3. Harry89

Harry89 Active Member

Is anyone starting a new petition to try and counter this, that everyone can hop on board with?

My main concern is with all the Covid issues currently distracting politics, contacting MP's will be a dead end at this point. There needs to be a larger force where more people can sign up to better support and present their case, people power sort of relies on having many people to create the power after all...

4. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe we should hand in our licences and all go underground Australia wide? It's ridiculous that the government continues to penalize us for doing the right thing and acquiring a licence. At least when we're underground we're not subject to their ludicrous ways of thinking. No . . . ? Just a thought.

In all seriousness, what can we do to combat this? We all need to band together to send a message that cannot be ignored.

5. Flaviemys purvisi

Myself and another QLD keeper of F.purvisi (he's bought quite a few of my captive bred ones) will be contacting QFL tonight in a joint venture regarding the new regs and what it'll ultimately mean for the future of the Manning River turtle.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jun 29, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 29, 2020 ---
    I will go underground before freezing my captive laid eggs of a critically endangered species. I don't give a rat's A** what any government department says. I'm helping bring the species into the captive trade as in another decade or so there'll likely be no wild Manning river turtles left. They occupy a known 75 square km area of the upper Manning river system... that's it... if that system is altered or adversely affected in any way shape or form it's game over.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:40 AM
  6. Ryan-James

Ryan-James Active Member

Hi can anyone swing me an email address where I can get some straight answers? Ugh I have to get the breeders permit, but I've got around 70 individual critters that need to go on to it that I didn't need a permit for before this, not sure how this works or whether it's easier to just quickly try and sell them before August and concentrate on another hobby.

7. Flaviemys purvisi

palm@des.qld.gov.au

Give 'em hell!

Nero Egernia, Sdaji and Ryan-James like this.
  8. Ryan-James

Ryan-James Active Member

Legend mate, thanks heaps.

Flaviemys purvisi likes this.
  9. Sdaji

I'm a Victorian but I'll send them an email as well.

10. Flaviemys purvisi

Send them a cyber Covid19 while you're at it!

11. Sdaji

I was going to say 'I'd rather send them something which works' but then again, C#inavirus doesn't really do anything directly, it just causes bureaucrats to take action... but... irrational, destructive action...

...I'll see what I can do.

12. Flaviemys purvisi

Have fired off a lengthy reply to miss Caitlin informing her that I simply cannot and will not accept these ridiculous new changes being implemented and that I've invested way too much time, effort and money into this project to preserve and protect an 88 million year old critically endangered species from extinction and that I will not just walk away from it because ill-informed people behind desks in air conditioned offices made a rule change.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:41 AM
  13. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

Let us know how it goes!

Can non Queensland residents contact them? What would be some crucial points to make in an email?

WizardFromAus- likes this.
  14. Sdaji

I think it's good if we do. It shows that their errors are bad enough that even people interstate are paying attention. Keep in mind you're sending a non solicited email so keep it factual and very polite. Point out the problems with it and the damage it will cause. Keep to salient points since it's unsolicited and to them unpleasant (they're not likely to bother carefully reading every word). Some of the important points have been discussed in this thread already.

15. Harry89

Harry89 Active Member

Perhaps a generic point by point draft could be compiled and shared to this thread as a template to email through, covering big points and allowing for individual elaboration? This could give rookies a fighting chance to bluff their way in with a solid argument and help with presenting numbers? Also, if the same points keep appearing, it might set off a theme that they really do need to look into certain areas and review the whole proposal? I have just found that people are more likely to act if they have their hands held a little, and when taking on a government body, knowledge is power...

CF Constrictor and -Adam- like this.
  16. Flaviemys purvisi

I'm waiting to hear back from Caitlin, I'm attempting to exploit a loophole and renew my current permit that doesn't expire until 2022, now... that way the Manning river turtle captive breeding project will be allowed to legally continue for 5 years rather than another 2. As with everything "turtle" this battle is going to take time, I realise it's only a Bandaid solution but 5 years is a lot better than 2.

However, if the worst should eventuate it bodes well for me that the latest Australian freshwater turtle taxonomy places the Manning river turtle in the same genus as the saw-shelled turtle (which IS listed on the species list) if you catch my drift.

17. -Adam-

-Adam- Active Member

Respectfully - I think that's a short term answer to a long term problem. Yes - it might get you through another few years - but I would personally be fighting it as though those 5 years are going to be up in 6 months. 5 years will come around quick enough and at the moment you have the support of many on the forum here ready to write in as well.

Now is the time to get the rules stopped before they're established for years. Once they've been in for a few years - any requests will be falling on deaf ears.

18. adderboy

adderboy Active Member

It's a constant battle. This sort of nonsense seems to arise in different States from time to time and unless it is resisted in each case, it becomes established. Until the next set of rules, of course, which will no doubt further restrict keepers. It amazes me that hobbyists aren't genuinely included in discussions as a matter of course. It would make it easier for everyone, including the authorities.

CF Constrictor, Sdaji and -Adam- like this.
  19. nick_75

nick_75 Active Member

This is a very good idea. Rather then just sending personal concerns via email (still a relevant way to voice concern, everyone should do this) putting together a petition with a clear message would be a statement that we are not happy. Let's start with a statement. Something along the lines of.........

I am a recreational hobbyist who keeps/breeds and trades native fauna in QLD under licence. I am not happy about the proposed changes to the current licencing framework and request involvement/consultation in the changes that will effect my participation in this hobby.

There would be a column for QLD licence holders to sign and a column interstate supporters to sign.

Please comment/respond with ideas on content and a way to get this into the Australian community.

Harry89 and WizardFromAus- like this.
  20. Flaviemys purvisi

I have a voicemail from Caitlin to give her a call regarding my last email. Will see what comes of it.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jun 30, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 30, 2020 ---
    OK so after a lengthy chat with Caitlin it's all pretty much finalised and set in stone... the changes will come into effect in August and I can renew my licence now for another 5 years and be bound by my current conditions which will allow me to continue keeping, breeding and selling purvisi as I do now until July 2025. Other than that, she listened to everything I had to say and pretty much said that regardless of what purvisi I breed myself, they can't be released into the wild as it'd be a biosecurity risk, she didn't say the words but the implication was that everything I've done and am doing is of little importance... Not true... AFT was breeding and releasing Mary River and Irwin turtles with permission from the QLD Government and saved the species! So anyway, it is what it is guys, I told her this will ultimately drive the Australian reptile hobby underground like Australia's illicit drug trade. She said that she encourages anyone and everyone affected to contact them and voice their concerns. Good luck... the QLD government will rue the day they screwed over the state's reptile enthusiasts.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:42 AM