Pseudonaja Pics and Talk info

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been issues with the SVDK yielding false positives but I cannot remember the details. I can try and find the relevant info if you would like me to. Urine and blood can also be utilised in the ID process.

There is a rather complex looking protocol developed and still being refined, in relation snake bite and administration of antivenom. It involves diagnosis from the nature of the systemic reactions as to both the nature of the venom and the amount of antivenom to be administered. It also incorporates rapid reaction to the horse serum basis of the antivenom as well as the slower developing serum sickness. Due to the potential for these very serious side effects of antivenom, medical staff is reluctant to utilise it until they can determine it is definitely necessary. This has to be balanced against having to try and reverse serious systemic effects within organs if the effects of the venom are allowed to take full hold. For example, if blood cells start breaking down, they can clog the kidneys and render them non-functional which means wastes build up in the blood, reaching toxic levels which slows or stops the functioning of critical organs, resulting in death (attributed to kidney failure as it happened first).

The above is why some people get to hospital, are given antivenom and still die. Properly applied compression bandage and immobilisation and how this reduces lymph movement and therefore why it is so important, would be something you might want to broach. It quite literally buys you time to get to medical assistance.

I have a pamphlet I made up on ‘living with snakes and avoiding bites’ that I can send you, if you like. Just pm an email address if you want it.

Blue

Under normal circumstances I am dead against attempting to teach people how to ID local snakes as part of a one-off group presentation. Not only a “waste of time”, as Snake Pimp says, but it is can also promote a false sense of security that an individual is capable of distinguishing dangerous from non-dangerous species in the field. Most localities have a fair range of species and no-one is going to be able to take on board the diagnostic features required to identify each and every one, in its full range of variations, in 20 mins. I believe that the time would be much better spent on demonstrating how easy it is to confuse dangerous and non-dangerous species, particularly when they are partly obscured and moving. Add to this that baby adders and hatchling browns have a lethal dose of venom from the word go and the apparatus capable of delivering it.

The message to get across is to regard all snakes, irrespective of size, as potentially dangerous, until you know absolutely for certain otherwise. Accord them all the respect they should be given and you will not end up an unnecessary statistic.

Blue

Thanks for your input Blue. I agree 100% with your sentiments of offering pictures as an identification medium to those who are uninterested in reptiles at the best of times.

Thanks all who have contributed thoughts and pictures. The general thought pattern here is obvious and I'll definitely take it all on board and table it that putting pictures out there has the potential to do more harm than good.

In terms of further info on the current situation, I'll wait till I have actual facts before further embarrassing myself.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back