Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

I know there are several people here interested in Brown Snakes (Pseudonaja sp) that may not have access to some of the academic work that has recenly being published on their taxonomy by Adam Skinner from SA uni/museum.

I've just read the paper, and thought I would summarise it (albeit very basically) here for everyone.

Before the publication of this paper, there were 7 recognised species of Pseudonaja from Australia and PNG.

Pseudonaja textilis - Eastern Brown Snake
Pseudonaja modesta - Ringed Brown Snake
Pseudonaja ingrami - Ingrams Brown Snake
Pseudonaja affinis - Dugite
Pseudonaja inframacula - Peninsula Brown Snake
Pseudonaja guttata - Speckled Brown Snake
Pseudonaja nuchalis - Western Brown Snake

There has been a little bit of taxonomical work on them previously but none of it has ever really been accepted in the last 20 odd years (from memory). It's always been known that P.nuchalis is a species complex, but nobody was ever sure exactly how many species were contained within it. There are 30+ colour and pattern variants and they are distributed through nearly every mainland state and territory so it was a massive job to work it out.

Basically, they found that every species apart from Pseudonaja nuchalis were valid, and that P.nuchalis were infact three distinct species.

Pseudonaja aspidoryncha
- Distinguishing features include a white to grey mouth lining (as opposed to blue/black in traditional P.nuchalis), a higher number of ventral scales. They share the strap like rostral scale with P.nuchalis. They are confined to "southern-central" Australia. A bad photo is attached of one I caught near Renmark, SA.

Pseudonaja mengdeni - Distinguishing features include a blue-black mouth lining (shared only with P.nuchalis), a lower dorsal scale count over the nape and apparently a different snout shape (rounded as opposed to "chisel shaped"). There are two distinct colour forms of P.mengdeni, the famous "orange bodied, black headed" form and the "pale head, grey nape" form. They are distributed through western and central Australia. Attached is a photo of the "orange bodied, black headed" form of animal captured in Alice Springs.

Pseudonaja nuchalis - Distinguishing features include a blue-black mouth lining (shared only with P.mengdeni), a strap like rostral scale and "chisel shaped" snouth (shared only with P.aspidoryncha), and a higher dorsal scale count over the nape. They also possess a lower ventral scale count than P.aspidoryncha. Colouration is variable, but is listed as "Dorsum light to medium brown; occasionally with a series of indistinct to distinct, broad, darker brown bands along body; scattered dark brown or black scales on neck; in many specimens the frontal, supraoculars and occiput are darker brown; snout pale brown, often
contrasting with darker posterior region of head; head and neck of some specimens dark brown or black; venter cream or pale yellow, commonly with subtle to conspicuous salmon spots (usually more evident anteriorly); ventrals typically with a brown or greyish brown sectorial marking laterally; chin cream". Distribution seems to be tropical Northern Australia (FNQ, Mt Isa maybe, Katherine, Darwin, Kimberlys etc). A photo of an animal captured in Katherine is attached.

Photo 1 - Pseudonaja aspidoryncha caught north of Renmark in Chowilla Game Reserve during the heat wave of New Years 2005/2006. This snake was close to 1.8 metres long and had a body temperature of 38.2 when caught - was lots of fun!

Photo 2 - Pseudonaja aspidoryncha caught north of Innamincka, SA on the Cordillo Downs Road. In total contrast to the above animal, it was incredibly placid.

Photo 3 - Pseudonaja nuchalis caught in Katherine, NT.

Photo 4 - Pseudonaja mengdeni caught in Alice Springs, NT.

Attachments

• vic 022ed.jpg
    vic 022ed.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 045ed.jpg
    045ed.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 215
  • WBROWN2.jpg
    WBROWN2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 266
  • WBROWN.jpg
    WBROWN.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 276
Gday Jonno

Got to say I love the look of no.4 (Pseudonaja mengdeni) stunning

Lewy

Thanks guys. I didn't think this thread would rate to highly on APS...should have posted a photo of my new Bearded Dragon instead :)

The first 3 photo's I posted are pretty plain animals, but they are the only photo's I have unfortunately. Hopefully some of the elapid boys (jamgo, Shane Black, dpeica etc) can add some photo's to show just how amazing this complex is.

Thanks guys. I didn't think this thread would rate to highly on APS...should have posted a photo of my new Bearded Dragon instead :)

Haha, thats about right

Great read! Thanks for that Jonno, interesting stuff, didn't realise there were 3 species to P. nuchalis, looks like fun work, would love to get into that one day, once im finished at uni!

Haha, thats about right

Great read! Thanks for that Jonno, interesting stuff, didn't realise there were 3 species to P. nuchalis, looks like fun work, would love to get into that one day, once im finished at uni!

Haha that's kinda the reason he posted it, they have only recently been re described.

Here's some darwin westerns.

This one is from Casuarina
P4230009.jpg

Moulden in Palmerston
Betterwestern.jpg

Yarrawonga in palmerston (This one was huge)
IMGP3725.jpg

And another Yarrawonga snake but this one was inside a shipping yard so it could be a hitch hiker.
IMGP2850-1.jpg

IMGP2848-1.jpg

So which of Nuchalis and the two new species are called a Gwardar now??? And in the LD50 test which of the three were/have been used?

Hey Jonno, you wouldn't happen to have a reference for the journal article? Or even better, know of somewhere that I can get my hands on a copy.

Cheers

G'day BrownHash,

My bad - I definitely should have referenced it to start with.

Skinner, Adam 2009. A multivariate morphometric analysis and systematic review of Pseudonaja. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2009, 155, 171-197.

Thanks for that Jonno,

I'll have to get a copy so I can ready it at work when I'm bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back