Pygmy Bearded Dragon Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmadactryl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a pygmy beardie. I have found a breeder, am sorting a cage out, done my research, but have one question I wanted to get some opinions on.

Do you keep a pygmy beardie solo or in a pair/small group? What do they do best in?

The breeder suggests I get two as they're social, but I don't know if that's just her wanting to get me to sell me another lizard :p I was/at the moment am interested in just getting one. Caging guidelines in terms of space needed always seem to list for pairs, but some information I've come across suggests keeping them separate to avoid any issues- admittedly, though, I think quite a bit of this is coming from keeping beardies and not specifically pygmies, but still. I also don't want any breeding, and I know accurately sexing small hatchies is a bit difficult.

The cage is coming from a friend; she's said it's about 92cm x 76cm, which I'm assuming is length and height, but might not be. They had a pair of "normal" beardies in it quite successfully, and prior to that a carpet python before she got her upgraded mansion, but I'm paranoid and don't want to just toss two pygmies together if there's a good chance I'll end up with issues later on.

Guidance is much appreciated!

keep them solo mate :)
That is a good size enclosure for the dragon and would be a minimum size for one adult.
Better to have peace of mind and one healthy thriving dragon than 2 stressed/fighting/breeding dragons

Agree with Grogshla. Pygmy beardies are the same as Centrals, solitary creatures only coming together to mate. This the second time in recent months someone has asked this question on here after a breeder has said it's ok. I think the breeder is only trying for another sale.

Thanks for confirming what I thought :D Will tell the breeder thanks but no thanks, just after the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back