Pygmy Mulga Monitors setup help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigdog85

Reaction score
Dapto, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
hey guys , so ive decided on getting a Pygmy Mulga Monitor this season and would just like to get some opinions on tank setup. i have a 6ft tank which ill be doing a custom background and hides etc my main question is to do with heating, i understand they need quite a hot basking area 50-60c just wondering what type of heating to get to reach these temps,im use to beardys and small pythons so 60c is quite a jump.
any help would be greatly appreciated, as i plan on getting the tank ready shortly :)
ive also posted in wanted looking for a hatchling this season so in case you didn't see that but know of any breeders around syd please let me know.
cheers
Dave.

A GU10 downlight from bunnings will get you out of trouble, you just adjust the height to give the correct temp at the basking spot. Cheap and they work well.

I use these, they're a few dollars each from Bunnings & available in a variety of wattage's from about 50w up to 100w. In a similar sized enclosure to what you have I use a 75w globe for my Tristis. Gives a good size basking spot of just above 55 at a distance of about 250mm. Make sure that the basking spot is wide enough to cover the whole animal.

Philips-Floodline-100W-Reflectors-Spot-E27-Base-Lamp.jpg

Like Shaneb said, a reflector bulb with the right distance from the basking spot should do the trick. The key is to provide them enough gradient at the basking spot. My set up for their main basking spot (I have two basking spots) gives me a range of temperature between 50 - 65c, and they just adjust according to their liking:

IMG_0821.jpg

- The distance between my bulb and the first slate is around 15cm
- The main slate gives me 65c (where they'll usually be after a meal)
- The second slate gives me between 50c (in the shade right under the first slate) to 60c
- The rockwall in the background where they also love to climb and chill gives me 50c to 60c
- I have another layer underneath the second slate that gives me between 40C to 45C

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back