Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone chuck up a care sheet or write one. dont just say knobbies because i have knobbies so kinda know their care. thanks

can someone chuck up a care sheet or write one. dont just say knobbies because i have knobbies so kinda know their care. thanks

There's a care sheet in one of the old Reptiles Aust mags but as we've said they're kept like knobbies... What else is there to say?

They'll eat moths, flies, crickets, roaches, spiders etc

Actually rocket just corrected me in chat. They love a bit of grass to hide in too!

Last edited:
Outwest 26 nov 2010 020.jpg Outwest 26 nov 2010 021.jpg Outwest 26 nov 2010 022.jpg Outwest 26 nov 2010 023.jpg

These are awesome little critters, it is good to see more of them kicking around the hobby. I found this little guy out near Hermidale, west of Nyngan while spotlighting. Sorry for the poor quality photos, the flash kept washing out everything :-/

There's a care sheet in one of the old Reptiles Aust mags but as we've said they're kept like knobbies... What else is there to say?

They'll eat moths, flies, crickets, roaches, spiders etc

Actually rocket just corrected me in chat. They love a bit of grass to hide in too!

Yeah, a couple of tufts of grass goes a long way to helping them shed as well as letting them act a bit more naturally, they do spend time searching through it if you provide it.

Yeah, a couple of tufts of grass goes a long way to helping them shed as well as letting them act a bit more naturally, they do spend time searching through it if you provide it.

Do you have any photos of your schraderi enclosures?

zzz297.jpg

site0039.jpg

site0040.jpg

site0041.jpg

site0042.jpg

Pre-shed
site0043.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any enclosure photos on this comp, but they're nothing special - sand, terracotta hides, basalt rocks and some grass under one hides in a dense tuft in on corner of the enclosure. What's the last species you've got there Jordo?

My photo shows one feeding on a medium-sized rats tail. I just compare the size of the tail against a skink, such as a Hemiergis and they have no problems with it. I was concerned with the size of the caudal vertebra causing impaction or posing difficulties with digestion but she's been fed them for years and hasn't had a problem...

How often do you feed an adult Burtons something that size to keep it in good condition? Twice a week?
And do they assist feed in the traditional sense that once the tail is a third or so in they will typically take it themselves the rest of the way?

Twice a week? No way, more like twice a month.

It requires getting the mouth open and sliding the tail in until about 50% is passed the base of the tongue, after that, the burtons will take it in like a big spaghetti strand. It's an intensive and obviously stressful process for the lizard and I don't completely agree with it, however, I'm still waiting on a bunch of AHG to be sent to me, stopping the need to feed rat's tails. Also, if anyone wants a frozen medium sized rat (without a tail), they can have it (pick-up).

How often do you feed an adult Burtons something that size to keep it in good condition? Twice a week?
And do they assist feed in the traditional sense that once the tail is a third or so in they will typically take it themselves the rest of the way?

As juvies I fed mine every 4 days and as adults once a week - depending on the size of the tails they usually get 2 or 3 per feed.
Once you get the item just past where the crack of the mouth ends, so just get it down the throat a little, they do the rest.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the input. I've looked at getting Burtons before but the feeding issue has put me off. Having said that assist feeding tails is a whole lot easier than force feeding pinkies etc like I'm currently doing with some animals. I need to find somewhere like a football stadium around here that is public access, has lots of lights and lots of wall space. I used to catch AHG's from walls with a supersoaker full of soapy water because a friends parents didn't like them cr**ping in the walls. Spray it all around them and soak them with it and the fall off the wall. I imagine a trip to somewhere with lights and wallspace in summer around here would produce a few.

I don't think it's that stressful Shawn. I use fine tipped dissecting forceps to gently lever the mouth open, then hold it open between thumb and finger while I slot the food in. They're back in the enclosure in less than a minute to finish the meal off.
If they're not hungry they clamp their jaws tight so I leave them until next time.

rednut, want to kill and freeze 15 for me? :) :) :). In the past, she has been force-fed whole pinkies, requiring the upper jaw and mandible to be forcibly opened at an angle greater than 45 degrees. I don't agree with that at all.

Not stressful? My burtons squeals and writhes furiously, perhaps yours have adjusted more readily to your process. I hold mine down and firmly grip her by the sides between two fingers and wait for her to open her mouth, then hold it open with tweezers as you've said, sliding the tail in and removing the tweezers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back