Python anatomy question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3xia

Reaction score
People have been asking me what the pit-like things are at the base of my pythons' jaws, but I'm not sure. I didn't think they'd be heat sensing pits because they're usually at the front. The pits I'm referring to are generally more pronounced/more of them in larger snakes. I have looked all over the internet but can't find anything specifically relating to this part of a snake.

Image from Slytherin - snake stock - 06 by *aussiegal7 on deviantART

Attachments

• snake-pits.png
    snake-pits.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 241
Yep, help sense heat. That's why you always have the mouse warmer than your hand or they'll go for the hand :lol: I believe they are called labial/heat pits? Or is that the ones under their eyes :?

Cool! Still, strange that they are at the back of their head instead of at the front like so many other snakes. All the diagrams I could find showed heat pits at the front, near their nose. I think I'd prefer to use tongs when feeding my 2m carpet!

Yep, help sense heat. That's why you always have the mouse warmer than your hand or they'll go for the hand :lol: I believe they are called labial/heat pits? Or is that the ones under their eyes :?

They also work on a sense of smell, not just try to eat the hottest object around them. How many times have you see a python try to eat their heat light?

But if the scent of rodent is near them they may go for the warmest object thinking it's a rodent. That is what I meant :)

But if the scent of rodent is near them they may go for the warmest object thinking it's a rodent. That is what I meant :)
Please try your theory out with an olive and be sure to post the results

Labial pits are the correct term

Just like a snake has a forked tongue to help guide it in the direction of prey, having labial pits distinctly on either side of the face allows for better directional orientation. There are many python anatomy questions i have had over the years, and found that many of then remain as yet unanswered.

Also depends on what species it is as to where its heat pits are located...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back