Python Hunters doco on TV

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
For those interested there's a documentary that is investigating Florida's feral Burmese Python population on Channel ONE at 7.35pm.

Last edited:
Don't need foxtail as already mentioned. Can they give me one of the snakes instead of kill it. I wouldn't mind one.

Watching the cricket ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Doherty bowling puss....as always :lol:

Sorry, continue with the snakeys :D

Watched it on One Tamworth... Must admit they showed one thing which I think the NSW NPWS should consider. Given the issues with Corn snakes in and about Sydney and our general concerns about exotic snakes out and about I think the idea of a snake amnesty is a good one. Hand in your off license and exotic reptiles no questions asked just to be able to make some effort towards controling them.

Watched it on One Tamworth... Must admit they showed one thing which I think the NSW NPWS should consider. Given the issues with Corn snakes in and about Sydney and our general concerns about exotic snakes out and about I think the idea of a snake amnesty is a good one. Hand in your off license and exotic reptiles no questions asked just to be able to make some effort towards controling them.

The last amnesty held in NSW around 5 years ago resulted in about 6 exotics being handed in.

The last amnesty held in NSW around 5 years ago resulted in about 6 exotics being handed in.

That really is a shame. I didn't even know there was one, maybe it wasn't advertised enough... oh well.

I liked the Brooks King snake, like an American version of a Woma.

Call me crazy (or a crazy Yank) but do you honestly feel that corn snakes would be any more invasive than your Aussie colubrid? They eat the same things, aren't aggressive, make great starter snakes and have some amazing looking morphs.

I know "we" have done some really crappy things to y'all, but I really don't see anything wrong with keeping corn snakes.

Please understand I really don't mean to ruffle feathers, I was just asking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Call me crazy (or a crazy Yank) but do you honestly feel that corn snakes would be any more invasive than your Aussie colubrid? They eat the same things, aren't aggressive, make great starter snakes and have some amazing looking morphs.

I know "we" have done some really crappy things to y'all, but I really don't see anything wrong with keeping corn snakes.

Please understand I really don't mean to ruffle feathers, I was just asking.

We have native species that are under threat from loss of habitat etc what they don't need is competition from an introduced species. Australia doesnt have a great track record when it comes to introduced species, rabbits and foxes released by early settlers just for sport hunting now a feral pest and the cane toad released by scientists to control pests in the sugar cane fields now a major threat to our native animal population, this is without going into all the introduced plant species that have got out of control. This is why our government takes a hard line on importing exotic species.

Makes total sense mate! I know y'all have had a not so good track record when it comes to things being introduced. I never thought of fighting for habitat.

Thanks for answering !

Dont inflate the figures, you'll give them a big head.

Was an OK doco, bunch of real herpers explaining the real story. Thumbs up.

They raised a very good point about it not being the fault of irresponsible keepers for the release of them. As they stated all the burmese ever caught were of the natural form or 'wild type'. No morphs or albinos or anything like that have ever been recorded as captured in the everglades.

It definitely gave weight to the argument that it was the fault of Hurricane Andrew and the one breeders warehouse, and morphs weren't really in existence till at least the late 90's in the pet trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back