Python Hunters doco on TV

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember what the documentary was called? I can't seem to find if it's actually on the chanel One catchup section, I'd really love to watch it :)

They raised a very good point about it not being the fault of irresponsible keepers for the release of them. As they stated all the burmese ever caught were of the natural form or 'wild type'. No morphs or albinos or anything like that have ever been recorded as captured in the everglades.

It definitely gave weight to the argument that it was the fault of Hurricane Andrew and the one breeders warehouse, and morphs weren't really in existence till at least the late 90's in the pet trade...

True, but these facts don't seem to have caused the authorities to rethink their idea about banning certain large boids. Seems to me the movement with regard to keeping snakes is in the wrong direction, with certain countries in Europe taking a more restrictive stance on vens and this going on in the USA.

True, but these facts don't seem to have caused the authorities to rethink their idea about banning certain large boids. Seems to me the movement with regard to keeping snakes is in the wrong direction, with certain countries in Europe taking a more restrictive stance on vens and this going on in the USA.

America and the idea of national quarantine and import restrictions when it comes to animals of any form has been non-existent at best over the last 200 years.
Kinda forces the rest of the world to compensate...

Does anyone remember what the documentary was called? I can't seem to find if it's actually on the chanel One catchup section, I'd really love to watch it :)
This particular episode was Python Hunters-The Perfect Storm (Season 1: Episode 1)
Did you find it and watch it Emmalene?

here is a story on the recent mass hunt of the everglades for burmese pythons: So where are all the pythons?

Seems abit strange that over 1000 hunters only killed 30 pythons over 2 weeks? considering there are an estimated 150,000 Burmese pythons running a muck in there. hmmmm

anywhere i can watch it for free ? i need a link ... its doing my head in not seeing this ....

I stumbled across this while channel surfing the other night. It was really interesting, but I couldn't help but be annoyed by how many people were at the amnesty saying stuff like "we didn't realise it would get that big", "it just kept growing, and growing, and growing", "we have about five people in our apartment so we don't have room for the snake" or "we got a dog and the snake is now big enough to eat the dog, so we're handing the snake in".

Seriously? I know many people are naiive when they get their first snake (myself included) but isn't that a basic consideration when you get a pet - how big it will grow? You wouldn't get a great dane if you lived in an apartment. You don't plant a gum tree seedling right next to your house. It just sounds like a lack of common sense to me.

True
but slightly understandable

When people are buying a hatchy and talk about a 17ft adult it is one thing

But to actually see and try to control a 17ft snake is a very different matter
Power of an adult burmese is simply unbelievable

True

Your 100% correct about the power of them. Way more stronger then any Aussie python. I have not worked with them but, I had a couple reticks, and a few boas, and after they reached 10 feet they are a pain to work with. They gave me the old kiss and squeeze quite a few times and it is shocking how hard a more heavy bodied snake can squeeze.

When is the next episode on I lost track of what night it aired?

Oh and watching it for free, if you have something like utorrent or Vuse installed on your computer you could probably find a torrent download of it.

- - - Updated - - -

It is on free to air on digital 'One' but that won't let you see the one you missed.

It is on free to air on digital 'One' but that won't let you see the one you missed.

I found a way to watch Monday's episode on their website, it just wasn't as easy (rephrase that) It wan't as straight forward to get to the section to watch previous shows :)

Last edited:
True

It looked like most of the snakes being handed in weren't yet full grown. I've never held any exotic snakes so didn't know they were stronger than our snakes, even at the same length/size. I had at least held my friends' adult carpet pythons before I dived in the deep end and bought one for myself. If people are buying Burmese pythons and the like without ever having the experience of handling a large snake, it still sounds silly to me.

Last edited:
Cheers, Joe. There was a thread yesterday remonding people it was on. I really enjoyed last night's ep and was blown away by the injured python at the start and how it was recovering from such a severe attack.

We have native species that are under threat from loss of habitat etc what they don't need is competition from an introduced species. Australia doesnt have a great track record when it comes to introduced species, rabbits and foxes released by early settlers just for sport hunting now a feral pest and the cane toad released by scientists to control pests in the sugar cane fields now a major threat to our native animal population, this is without going into all the introduced plant species that have got out of control. This is why our government takes a hard line on importing exotic species.

I kinda disagree...especially when you compare corn snakes to introduced "feral" species like the rabbit, fox & cane toad. Those species were introduced well over 70 years ago when there was no departments like NPWS or Environmental Control to determine the impact studies those species would have to our natural environment. I honestly can't see the corn snake making a negative impact on our native pythons' food supply...if anything I can see a native python preying on a corn rather than the corn decimating the python's food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back