Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdw00

Reaction score
style="width: 100%"
|-
| align="center" valign="top" style="border-collapse: collapse" |
style="width: 600px"
|-
| align="center" valign="top" style="border-collapse: collapse" |
|-

|-

Hi,
Found this little guy in the garden this morning and just wondered if its native for the area. Hornsby NSW?

If its native I'll probably leave it be but if it's an escapee I might have to take it to a reptile store or Sydney Wildlife.

I've done a google and closest match is a Stimson Python but they are from WA?

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• Python.jpg
    Python.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Python#2.png
    Python#2.png
    712 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Thanks, Does that mean its native for the area?

Its a diamond hatchling, they often look like that early on. It will probably develop into a bog standard Nth Shore diamond.

Its a diamond hatchling, they often look like that early on. It will probably develop into a bog standard Nth Shore diamond.

It does look like it has diamond in it but thats not a pure diamond if anything its a diamond x coastal intergrade or its mum or dad was.

I haven't seen many Diamond hatchies but that looks like a standard Coastal to me... A very nice Coastal but still one none the less.

Hi Mark. There is no doubt that it's a juvenile Carpet Python (Morelia spilota). This species has a more or less continuous range from Victoria to Queensland and has distinct geographic variations. The form that is endemic to your area is the Diamond Python. However, this particular specimen doesn't look like a typical juvenile Diamond Python. Typical Diamonds usually have small individual rosettes rather than banding to the extent that this specimen has. Having said that, whilst I've never seen a pure Diamond Python juvenile that is banded to that extent, it's not impossible.
In my opinion this snake is more likely to be the progeny of escaped northern form (e.g Coastal or intergrade) that has hybridized with a local Diamond or an escapee itself. Do you still have the snake?

Last edited:
Thanks Bushman I figured a more experienced voice would say it. I didn't think snakes patterns would change as they mature and the banding rather than rosettes was what I based my comment on. I know the colour will develop as it mature if it is a diamond but that is really the only change I've been told of.

Thanks for the replys guys. Its about 1 foot long and currently gone to sleep at the bottom of the pot that we found it in. Sounds like some sort of carpet Python hybrid then so it most likely belongs in the area. I have seen bigger diamond pythons in the bushland around where I live before so hopefully it will head back into the bush and have a happy life : )

Cheers
Mark

Everytime people see a picture of a snake that looks a little bit different to the norm, or different to pics that they've seen on forums they instantly jump to the conclusion that it's a hybrid.

Diamonds are the only python native to the area (for several hundred kilometres). In my opinion that is certainly not a Diamond hatchling, given the size and shape of what should be “rosettes”. Here is a photo of a couple of typical Diamond hatchlings, plus a pic of the parents, so you can compare… http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/sale-snakes-43/diamond-python-hatchlings-157926/#post1914503. It does however have the markings you would expect for a straight coastal hatchling. Diamond x Coastal offspring can have similar markings.

I would say it is either a straight Costal or a Diamond-Coastal cross hatchling.

To be a straight Coastal it would have to be an escapee from someone living quite close by as it would have had to make its own way your house. To be cross would require that an escaped adult Coastal mated with a local adult Diamond. Given adults’ capacity to travel distances versus that of a hatchling, I would say the latter is the more likely scenario.

Blue

PS I don’t see why the “hybrid” (sic) scenario is jumping to conclusions in this particular case.

Diamonds are the only python native to the area (for several hundred kilometres). In my opinion that is certainly not a Diamond hatchling, given the size and shape of what should be “rosettes”. Here is a photo of a couple of typical Diamond hatchlings, plus a pic of the parents, so you can compare… http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/sale-snakes-43/diamond-python-hatchlings-157926/#post1914503. It does however have the markings you would expect for a straight coastal hatchling. Diamond x Coastal offspring can have similar markings.

I would say it is either a straight Costal or a Diamond-Coastal cross hatchling.

To be a straight Coastal it would have to be an escapee from someone living quite close by as it would have had to make its own way your house. To be cross would require that an escaped adult Coastal mated with a local adult Diamond. Given adults’ capacity to travel distances versus that of a hatchling, I would say the latter is the more likely scenario.

Blue

PS I don’t see why the “hybrid” (sic) scenario is jumping to conclusions in this particular case.

Or one of the many people who are crossing carpets let one escape....

I love how it's clearly a coastal and people say it's a diamond. If people aren't 100% sure why do they say anything at all

I love how it's clearly a coastal and people say it's a diamond. If people aren't 100% sure why do they say anything at all
I love how everyone can even attempt to positively ID any Morelia Spilota sp.

In cases like this everyone will have an opinion but no-one can identify beyond reasonable doubt. No try.

With all due respect GeckoJosh, I believe there is clearly sufficient grounds available to go one step further than that, even if it is a question mark between two possibilities.

Blue

IMO its a carpet. I breed them both. its 100% not a diamond. looks like many of our coastal hatchies. doesn't even look like a cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back