Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GeckoJosh, you are quite correct. The point I was getting at is that if one can further reduce the possibilities in an ID thread, then I believe one should do so.

Tahniandshae, I agree that it does look like a straight carpet. I have never seen a hatchling cross but I did have several photos sent to me of adult natural intergrades and they were very carpet like. I think it gets down to how close the neighbours are, if one keeps snakes and how close to natural bushland the house is, as to which is the more likely origins and type.

Blue

I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in this thread...but here I go anyway!
With the number of "that's not a pure diamond" comments people get when posting pics I'm surprised that people are saying its a locally hatched wild diamond. I have intergrade hatchies here that look more diamond than that, and I know there can be a lot of variation but to me that is clearly not a pure diamond. I'm not going to speculate as to what it is because it could be anything. But I will say that I believe it is most probably escaped or the offspring of an escaped carpet.
Just another quick comment, if the op was posting that pic as his new diamond that he had bought, people would be telling him he's been ripped off because its not a pure diamond.

Assuming it is in all likelihood an escaped Coastal (or whatever) and not a local Diamond is there anyway to be allowed to keep it? It really is a nice looking specimen.

Hi Guys. Not wanting to be controversial at all here, but I've been herping in the same area for more than 30 years and I've seen baby Diamonds of a similar pattern and colour to this, but they are usually much darker, and usually have rosettes rather than longer "stripe" type patterns. The colours in the photo - especially the one with the flash - do give it a more NNSW Coast look. Might it be better to not release it until it can be identified as definitely a Diamond? What are the rules for these things? I know it's illegal to release a captive bred animal into the wild, but what about one found in the wild that is suspected of being captive bred? We need a lawyer!!??!!:lol:

Gruni and Zipidee, there good points. If it was a BHP or an Olive it wouldn't be allowed to remain in that area. I don't know what would happen to it but I'm pretty sure it would be collected by NPWS. I was talking to a guy who does reptile shows once and he was called to relocate a snake in the Newcastle area and when he turned up it was a jungle. I don't know how he went about it but he now has that snake. He was able to keep it because it wasn't from that area, in other words it was obviously an escapee.
I don't know the answer but its an interesting debate.

Zipidee, this was basically what I was just getting at. You have just said it yourself, compared to what you have seen in that time the pattern does not match to the expectation of a local diamond with the absence of rosettes. Also there is no sign yet of the scale highlighting either and I would think by the time it has reached the size it is that it should have the diamond colouring too.

If you have the means to keep it safely in a tub, give NPWS a call and explain your situation as they are the only ones who can give you a definite answer. They will either ask to see the animal or at the least the pictures and who knows they may offer it to you or it may go in a ballot if they believe it is not a local specimen.

I love how it's clearly a coastal and people say it's a diamond. If people aren't 100% sure why do they say anything at all

Are you 100% sure? Don't think so..

Id say its part Diamond at least..but who knows for sure. Just leave it where it is, be happy it is sharing your backyard..

I put a far bit of weight into Peter's opinion. I'm not trying to ID it but because no one agree's with him I think he may be correct.

I may be wrong but we have found them looking like this for many years now. There is a large number of coastal genetics around that area from years of misidentification resulting in many animals being released that should not have. It is where organised volunteer wildlife rescue originated.

I may be wrong but we have found them looking like this for many years now. There is a large number of coastal genetics around that area from years of misidentification resulting in many animals being released that should not have. It is where organised volunteer wildlife rescue originated.
Thanks Peter. It's unfortunate that this has occurred but it's understandable I guess. I didn't know that the area where the snake was found is where wildlife rescue originated in Oz. That's interesting.
So it's quite possible that this specimen is a wild hybrid. What do you recommend be done in cases such as these? (release or pass on to herp societies for adoption?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back