Python shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedi Madden

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to owning a python and my six month old bredli is going through a shed just wondering what the humidity should be in her inclosure and is it normal for her to just lay in her water bowl for hours thanks

Hi Jedi
Yes , that sounds normal. I also have a youngish bredli who occasionally likes to soak in his water bowl preshed. As for humidity , my enclosures sit at around 30 to 35% most of the time, but I usually lightly mist my enclosures once a day, only when they are in preshed. I have noticed that around 12 to 24 hours before their ready to actually shed, they usually have a big drink, so as long as they have access to plenty of fresh water and have some rough surfaces to rub against, you shouldn't have a problem. Good Luck.
[doublepost=1600680034,1600605693][/doublepost]Sorry , i probably should have mentioned that if she is spending a lot of time soaking when not in preshed, it would definatly be worth checking for mites.

What are your temps like , is there a chance she could be to hot ? If temps are ok , and she isn't infested with mites , i wouldn't worry , the whole shedding process usualy takes around 10 days or so , just be patient.

One thing you could do now is change the water in the bowl. But don't throw the "old" water away. Put it into a white or pale-coloured bucket or basin and look for black/dark specks about the size of a pinhead. If there are none then there's a good chance you can discount mites as an issue and just let the snake soak for a bit longer.
But if you notice numerous dark specks you may have an infestation, which will require attention.

Thanks guys for your advice she shedded her skin this morning no dramas and I did find mites in her water bowl I have seen the guy I bought her off and he gave me some mite spray now to do some thorough cleaning of her tank I can't c any on her at the moment but I'm gonna treat her to make sure now she's not so temperamental

Personaly i don't like the idea of exposing my snakes to pesticides if i can avoid it. I have found a less toxic and equaly effective way to treat mites if your interested. First of all , i would recommend bathing her in warm water with a little hand soap or mild dishwashing liquid mixed in for around 30 minutes. The idea is soap lowers the surface tension of the water , making it impossible for any mites you can't see that may be stuck under her scales to trap minute air bubbles on there bodies , and they drown. Then i would set her up in a clean plastic click clack with just plain white paper sheets ' a heat mat or some kind of temporary heating , and leave her in there over night. The next day , you should carefully inspect the white paper , the entire plastic tub inside and out , and the snake herself , particularly under the chin , around her neck in her labial pits and under her belly scales . If you find any more mites , its time to get serious. Let us know how she go's and if you like i can expain my method in detail. Good luck.

Back