Python snapped swallowing 35kg pet goat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 25-Feb-10 10:57 AM
Source: Cairns Post via NEWS.com.au

A FIVE-METRE amethyst python has been caught devouring a 35kg goat, horns and all, in Queensland.

Go to Original Article

Cairns-WebUsual-CP25FEB10P003-C0034675-SNAKE.JPG

I would say that meal was just right lol

wonder how long till it can move again! what a feed!

that is one well fed scrubby lol. Looks like it's probably been eating a few more pets, it's a lot fatter than the ones I normally see, even without the goat bulge :lol:

It's an amethystine python, right? I didn't know you could own them as pets, those who have mentioned their own scrubbies... Aren't they meant to be Australia's largest python? So really, it deserves goat, or a sheep, and Kangaroo, and a few kids here and there...

Nice. We had a 3 meter scrubby in our back yard a couple of months ago. Lucky to live up in far north Qld.

Did anyone else notice that this story and the coinciding photo that is apparently the snake make no sense...

Monica Spah, of Kuranda in the state's northeast, noticed her 35kg goat missing three weeks ago.

She then came across the snake, which had a giant lump in its back, in her backyard.

Stuart Douglas from the Australian Venom Zoo told ninemsn it would have taken one minute for the snake to suffocate the goat and five days to completely digest it.

so if the goat went missing 3 weeks ago, it takes 5 days to digest...how did she get a photo of it? 3 weeks later....

i started going to cairns kinda regularly 4 years ago....they've always been in the streets near parkland i dont think its a recent thing that they've just started appearing there.

It's an amethystine python, right? I didn't know you could own them as pets, those who have mentioned their own scrubbies... Aren't they meant to be Australia's largest python? So really, it deserves goat, or a sheep, and Kangaroo, and a few kids here and there...
Scrub python is Morelia Amethistina and yes you can own them .

Did anyone else notice that this story and the coinciding photo that is apparently the snake make no sense...

Monica Spah, of Kuranda in the state's northeast, noticed her 35kg goat missing three weeks ago.

She then came across the snake, which had a giant lump in its back, in her backyard.

Stuart Douglas from the Australian Venom Zoo told ninemsn it would have taken one minute for the snake to suffocate the goat and five days to completely digest it.

so if the goat went missing 3 weeks ago, it takes 5 days to digest...how did she get a photo of it? 3 weeks later....

i started going to cairns kinda regularly 4 years ago....they've always been in the streets near parkland i dont think its a recent thing that they've just started appearing there.

Maybe the goat was walking around in the scrub for a few weeks before the snake got him. I know what you mean though, always out for a story...

That is awesome that you can own them, I mean, they are enormous when fully grown, imagine the size of the tank you'd need for them if they never got out for a wander...

Unreal snake to own if you happen to get a placid one but if you get one like mine with the typical scrubby attitude then look out you have the spawn of satan .

Unreal snake to own if you happen to get a placid one but if you get one like mine with the typical scrubby attitude then look out you have the spawn of satan .

Haha yours is a beauti***l snake :) i would trade something for her any day :D

That is awesome that you can own them, I mean, they are enormous when fully grown, imagine the size of the tank you'd need for them if they never got out for a wander...

Definately an awesome snake to own! Even if you have a nightmare like mine...and he's not even big yet. :)

Definately an awesome snake to own! Even if you have a nightmare like mine...and he's not even big yet. :)

i wonder why they always seem to have this temper in captivity? everyone talks about there aggressiveness. i've never kept them but found plenty, probably into the 100's only once have i had one attempt to strike and it was more like a headbutt than a full strike.

Here are some more photos of the 5m long Scrubb Python that has eaten a Goat.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back