Python trembling / shaking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I've had what has been believed to be a gravid diamond python for several weeks now. It has been 24 days since pre lay shed ( if that's what it was) for the past 12 hours she has been shaking / trembling allot , is this a sign of anything ?

Can you describe the shaking/trembling more precisely?
It could be shivering thermogenesis, which usually occurs when they are maternally incubating eggs.
If this is what it is, it serves to raise body temperature similar to mammals.
She could be too cold and is trying to warm herself up.

I don't think he said that she's laid yet. Could it be egg binding?

Lol thanks mate :) I doubted that she was gravid for so long

Congratulations! She was probably just raising her body temperature to optimal.
This is an interesting account of what was almost certainly shivering thermogenesis prior to egg deposition.
You will probably see more shivering until the smell of the eggs is gone.

Last edited:
congrats.. Ive never heard of that. Thats amazing.. I was under the impression cold blooded animals couldnt raise their own body temp??

Sure it wasn't just muscle contractions you were seeing?

Sure it wasn't just muscle contractions you were seeing?

People who havent seen there snakes b4 laying eggs may freak out in what they see if they dont realise what there actually seeing,as you mentioned it was most probably muscle contractions b4 laying...Now jug82 you have just experienced it..

Actually, I just finished reading a book which described diamond pythons doing just that exact trembling you wrote about - quite normal for them apparently :) Congratulations on being a new grandpa :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back