Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well word is the ipswich one shouldn't have had animals for sale. that was an error by the DERM. I'd advertise them for availability after the show and the price and organise it all before the show. Then all you have to do is sign paperwork pass the pillowcase and take the money!

I've never been myself but I've been told from a few people that the EXPO has been pretty average in the past.

I was expecting more of the ipswich one the way people had talked but I was expecting a similar experience to the pictures I had seen of expo's at the southern states.

Its a shame when these events are so hyped up but they turn out to be nothing much more than a poorly put together petshop that you can't purchase from :)

LMAO must be frustrating from reading the various posts here,this Derm or germ needs to give themselves an uppercut then another uppercut.

I'd rather lecture the cows to be honest.
I might end up with a few litres of milk to show for my efforts rather than the inevitable headache you get from dealing with DERM.

Its a shame when these events are so hyped up but they turn out to be nothing much more than a poorly put together petshop that you can't purchase from :)

I chose to look at them as a great nonthreatening way of introducing reptiles to the public.
Being able to desensitize and normalize reptile keeping in the eyes of the community is good for the hobby as a whole.
They get to see what great pets they are and that they aren't ravenous bloody thirsty monsters that should be killed on sight.

Last edited:

Typically QLD!:(

(wasn't that the reason for this blog?:rolleyes::evil:)

I have done the expo in Gladstone the first 3 years it was run. I do this as a public awareness & also to let people know what might be available in the future & meet & greet.
Simon might be able to shed more light on it & may have an idea of the displays allready booked & what features will be available.
It is obviously not as big as the larger city expos but from memory there has been between 1500 & 2000 people visit the expo each year it has been on.

cheers
Ian

I've never been myself but I've been told from a few people that the EXPO has been pretty average in the past.

What a lovely informed post.:rolleyes:

Last one I went to was great, its bloody hard work on Slimbos and the exhibitors part and he deserves more than petty sniping from keyboard warriors.

As I said I enjoyed the last one but it turned out to be extremely expensive

Her (phone call #1)
: I'm at a house auction!

Her (
phone call #2): I like this house!

Her (
phone call #3): I just won the action, signing the papers and you can't stop me. HAHAHA

me (Thinks)
: Hope its not a renovators specialHer: It needs some fixing up but we can do it over a few weekends

Me
: AGGGHHH

What a lovely informed post.:rolleyes:

Last one I went to was great, its bloody hard work on Slimbos and the exhibitors part and he deserves more than petty sniping from keyboard warriors.

As I said I enjoyed the last one but it turned out to be extremely expensive

Her (phone call #1)
: I'm at a house auction!

Her (
phone call #2): I like this house!

Her (
phone call #3): I just won the action, signing the papers and you can't stop me. HAHAHA

me (Thinks)
: Hope its not a renovators specialHer: It needs some fixing up but we can do it over a few weekends

Me
: AGGGHHH

With the exception of labeling me a keyboard warrior I found this post amusing. I certainly am not a keyboard warrior, never claimed to be one and never acted like one. A ****stirring smartarse at times, certainly.....

As I said previously, I've never been myself so I can only go on what I've been told by past exhibitors, who like everyone else, is more than entilted to voice an opinion, which I'm just repeating. If certain people are a little touchy and sensitive then I appologise.

Katana said > I'd rather lecture the cows to be honest.
I might end up with a few litres of milk to show for my efforts rather than the inevitable headache you get from dealing with DERM.

Yeh, some of those ranger office boys and girls been licking the stuffed toads they keep on the desks.
Got to make the best of your situation and keep going,you only live so long .

If there wasn't an expo at all those same people would be bitching that there wasn't enough expos in Queensland.

Perhaps the knockers could do something constructive with their time and energy and actually help to promote and improve these events rather than drag down the efforts of others.

It all depends what you want from an Expo

If you enjoy meeting likeminded people new and old, becoming more informed and seeing what others have bred, listening to others hopes and dreams.

Maybe you could learn something :)

Just take it for what it is...a catchup with friends old (and new) possibly a bonus of getting a heads up on animals that may be available.
Go for a drive it's only 7 hours from Brisbane.....camp at a caravan park or be nice to Gladstone people and you could be offered somewhere to roll out your swag.

Negativity gets everybody nowhere fast.....the organisers put a lot of time, cash and effort into offering you a good weekend...

why not help them out and appreciate what they are striving to achieve.

Cheers
Sandee :)

Last edited:
... I found this post amusing...

Laughing at my (financial ) pain? ;)

.. A ****stirring smartarse at times, certainly.....

We have something in common then

.. I appologise.

Not many people are big enough to "appologise" over the net. My opinion of you has risen considerably.

.....camp at a caravan park..

If I go (see my previous post), I would stay either at Turkey Beach or 1770 but both would require a 100-150 trip to the expo. 1770 is great for kayak fishing off the headland ( Last time we got towed in the two man yak almost 5 kilometres by something big. Fishing doesn't get any better plus there is always the possibility of spotting a swamp gecko). Another alternative would be Lake Awoonga and spend a day Barra fishing, but I think that they are going off the chew at that time of the year.

Last edited:
The Scales & Tails Australia team are looking forward to catching up with everyone up in Gladstone.

Well done Simon.

See you all there.

Cheers
Joy

I hope to see you there Joy, it is allways great to catch up with people at these events, we all live at diverse locations & is great to meet every now & then.
I also hope to take 'Lucky' along so that people can see her progress.

Cheers
Ian

isn't mr beard a negative chappy. if you have been to the expo,then you can have an opinion.its impossible to have an opinion that isnt yours. now back to promoting instead of demoting.
the comercial area will be in the same room, jus in a seperate area to the animals.

at the moment we are dealing with a bloke at the EPA who is trying his best to help the qld expos out ,with the legislation that is in place. Until the legislation is changed these are the rules we have and i personally think they arent too bad. you can still purchase animals after the expo is over so if there is something your keen on,give the breeder a call,and as long as we can still sell products ,i'm happy.
fuscus has the right idea to make a little holiday out of it(by the way mate,i got a 107cm barra in my kayak last week at pikes crossing)
we arent expecting people to travel from brissy because they have 2 expos down there now.but if you want to make the trip,then come on up.we are a happy social bunch up here(even more so now since we got rid of mr miserable) so come and have a drink with us

I had thought we had turned a corner with DERM and reptile expos :facepalm:
While disappointed about the roll back on policy in regard to the sale of commercial listed reptiles at QLD Expos I have plenty which are non commercial so I still could not have openly sold all that I keep.

On a positive note, I have exhibited at the Gladstone Expo at the last two run and went to the first one as a spectator. I thought they were all worth going to, even when no products where allowed to be sold. I loved showing the public my reptiles so more people can appreciate them. From these events many learn to get past thinking of reptiles as creepy or that they just want to bite people.
If I can find some acceptably priced accommodation in Gladstone I will be there again with some of my herps :)

what, where and when, pls? cheers.

It is on in Gladstone Central coast Qld the 6th of May from 9 am to 4 pm.
There is an advertisment in the Scales & Tails magazine. It does not tell much info but i am sure that Simon will update everyone as sites & exhibitors are confirmed.
One thing i will guarantee is that Simon & myself will be there, so that is a pretty good start.
It has allways been a pretty good show & i would expext even bigger this time around.
Make the effort to display or just visit it will be worthwhile.

cheers
Ian

Simon, well done on once again organising this event to help promote our hobby. I know how much hard work goes into organising something like this so 'thank you' for doing so. It's very much appreciated by the majority of our hobby.

For anyone with negative comments, you know what, you need to get behind and support those of us who are willing to get off our butts and organise these events for the hobby. From personal experience I can tell you that it's not easy! Without the people behind the Qld Expo, the Gold Coast Expo, and the Ipswich Festival you would be left with nothing and have to travel quite a way to the southern states to make it to anything similar. At each of these events you get to see really cool animals, you hear fabulous talks, you get to catch up with some of the legends in the industry and you get to catch up with your peers, all in one place. Please be appreciative and support us, as we all do our very best to bring you a great event, without any monetary reward for what we do, because you know what, one day we might all say,,,,,,,,, why the heck should we bother if we're not appreciated and supported!!!!!!!!!

Just something to think about.

Having said that though, I'm sure we are all open to any ideas that will help to promote our wonderful hobby, so all good constructive criticism and ideas are certainly welcome.

cheers
Joy

Last edited:
I had thought we had turned a corner with DERM and reptile expos :facepalm:
While disappointed about the roll back on policy in regard to the sale of commercial listed reptiles at QLD Expos I have plenty which are non commercial so I still could not have openly sold all that I keep.

On a positive note, I have exhibited at the Gladstone Expo at the last two run and went to the first one as a spectator. I thought they were all worth going to, even when no products where allowed to be sold. I loved showing the public my reptiles so more people can appreciate them. From these events many learn to get past thinking of reptiles as creepy or that they just want to bite people.
If I can find some acceptably priced accommodation in Gladstone I will be there again with some of my herps :)

i hope you can make it up again.You have a great collection of some of the more unusual reptiles in the hobby
cheers
simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back