Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't know what the issue is re selling reptiles at QLD Expos?

Can anyone enlighten me please?
Cheers.

P.S. - Then at end of show, people trade in car parks, or at breeders' home. What's the difference??

I still don't know what the issue is re selling reptiles at QLD Expos?

Can anyone enlighten me please?
Cheers.

P.S. - Then at end of show, people trade in car parks, or at breeders' home. What's the difference??

Pet shops with a commercial reptile licence can only displayed and sell the small number of commercially listed species along side their products at their registered business but I believe they can get permission to sell at another location for a short time.
In Queensland reptile displays are intended for public education only. Being an expo has a lot of recreational / non commercially listed reptiles on display by recreational keepers it restricts how anything is sold.

Guideline Keeping and using under a recreational wildlife licence
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf

Page 6
A person who holds a recreational wildlife licence is not permitted to display for commercial purposes an animal kept under the licence:
• in a public place and in a way that may cause another person to believe the animal is for sale; or
• to market a particular product, service or business name, especially a product to house or maintain the animal.

The first dot point means you can't even mention an animal could be for sale while it is on display in a public place. (The car park trading may still be considered an issue but a little harder for DERM to monitor as the transaction could have been arranged privately before the expo started)
The second dot point is why you can't put your pet reptile on display with a product for sale.

The expos are still good to have because the general public that don't keep reptiles, and keepers themselves, get to see some reptiles they may never have see in the flesh and certainly never see in a pet shop. The contacts you make with other keepers is also part of the appeal.

well said and spot on, book. if the expos keep doing the right thing by the EPA then in the end it will only benefit future expos. we will be working with the EPA in the future to try to bring in new legislation ,but at the moment these are the rules written in black and white,so we have to go with them.
cheers
simon

Thanks a million, book!;)
I'm all clear now.

What about other states, are they allowed to display and sell at their Reptile Expos?
(I understand only QLD is very restrictive, no?)

It's a lot of work (and expense) for those who take the energy to show up just to display...
Big thumbs up for them!

Pardon my ignorance, but, I cannot understand it, to me it's like going to the Easter show and not be able to buy anything!
Or going to a Cattle show 'just to watch'. (I believe there are shows far north where cattle is being purchased/actioned live?)

Maybe is just me, But I've never encounter so many difficulties (specially with council/government), until I came to QLD.

Thanks again.

Thanks a million, book!;)
I'm all clear now.

What about other states, are they allowed to display and sell at their Reptile Expos?
(I understand only QLD is very restrictive, no?)

It's a lot of work (and expense) for those who take the energy to show up just to display...
Big thumbs up for them!

Pardon my ignorance, but, I cannot understand it, to me it's like going to the Easter show and not be able to buy anything!
Or going to a Cattle show 'just to watch'. (I believe there are shows far north where cattle is being purchased/actioned live?)

Maybe is just me, But I've never encounter so many difficulties (specially with council/government), until I came to QLD.

Thanks again.

it is alot of work but the breeders who display end up with benefits later on. i personally get dozens of calls over the next couple of weeks after an expo i attend, and also manage to sell plenty over that time as well.its all about the breeders getting their name out there and people can see whats on offer.
my advice is ,if you go to a queensland expo, have your licence on you on hand in case you want something after the expo is over.
cheers
simon

Just heard about the expo at work. I am keen to bring my snakes along for what has been a sweet day in the past. Looking forward to meeting some new people this year.

Hey, so the Queensland expo has moved from the gold coast to Gladstone?

Jamie

No Jamie. It's a bit confusing I know, but the Gladstone Expo was the first one to get started in Qld so when they started they used the name 'The Qld Expo'. Then we came along with the 'Ipswich Reptile Festival', and then the Gold Coast came along with their 'Gold Coast Expo'. So we're very fortunate to have three Expos happening most years in Qld.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Joy

Just heard about the expo at work. I am keen to bring my snakes along for what has been a sweet day in the past. Looking forward to meeting some new people this year.

hi Troy. remember to get me your details by the 20th of april. 1 month to go.
cheers
simon

Until the legislation is changed .....

Officially, no legislative changes will take place until 2016. If you here of any changes being made prior to that can you let ne know as we are fighting a separate and equally frustrating battle with softbilled birds and that has been the only window of opportunity offered. If they are opening another window for you guys then I'll happily access it.

Danny

Hi Danny,we were informed that may put new legislation in ,reguarding reptile expos, soon.possibly in the next year or so. its not really changing legislation,just adding new stuff.
cheers
simon
Officially, no legislative changes will take place until 2016. If you here of any changes being made prior to that can you let ne know as we are fighting a separate and equally frustrating battle with softbilled birds and that has been the only window of opportunity offered. If they are opening another window for you guys then I'll happily access it.

Danny

goldcoast reptile expo is on the 28-29 july,the scales and tails festival is on around october-november but not sure of the date. Joy will let us know.
cheers
simon
When are the others on ?

I only bumped into this one by accident!

Thanks

cant wait to catch up with some old mates and make a few new ones,

Deka

Hi Deka,
Are you calling me old?
Should be a good day again & look forward to catching up. Get the beers cold & clean the BBQ.

Cheers
Ian

I believe Ipswich one is 10th of November :)

Absolutely right Ally. Saturday November 10th it is. Lots of great things planned for it too. I'll be making announcements about that over the next couple of weeks.
Cheers
Joy

just letting people know that the Queensland Reptile Expo is up on facebook. it also has photos from previous expos.
cheers
simon

Thanks for organsising it, i will definitley be there looking for another juvenile GTP or a lizard of some sort. Can someone give me the times?!?!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back