Question about colour genetics (p. vitticeps)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G.C.Dragons

Reaction score
So a quick question - how do I know what colour morphs are recessive or dominant (red, yellow, orange)?

I know the albino gene is always recessive - is this the same for reds or yellows?

I am about to breed a high yellow female with a high orange male and was wondering what I would get as far as colours (obviously i'll find out soon enough but just wanna see what colours tend to be dominant or recessive).

I dont believe they would be dominant as you would expect 100 percent offspring to show the red characteristic if both parents were red.

They arent really a phenotype like albinoism, but more of a phase related to hormonal activity, right? I believe the traits for colours are probably held on different genes segments and are actually a mix of codominant, incomplete dominant and recessive genes. So rather than one gene being responsible for the entire change of colour its probably many and they relate to the different scales which is why their is so much variation. So its a bit of a gamble when you cross a pair.

Last edited:
Question about colour genetics

The correct term is Polygenic Inheritance:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back