Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo

Reaction score
HI All, Are you able to keep GTP's in QLD on a standard Recreational Wildlife Licence. I have looked on the epa sight and I'm still not 100% sure. My license says;
Conditions for: Keeping live commercial and recreational reptiles and recreational amphibians

Agency Interest: General
A1G1 Additional Information: - A maximum of 2 restricted reptiles, other than reptiles of the families elapidae,hydrophiidae or laticaudidae, may be kept under this licence.

Thanks Banjo

A GTP is a restricted reptile, along with Woma's, and Scrubbies.
So you can have 2 of any of these snakes on your rec. license, but if you want more you pretty much just have to give them some more money (not much though).

Thank-you for the fast reply DanTheMan, I just wanted to be 100% sure.

In Qld pretty sure you can only keep a max of 2 restricted animals on the basic recreational licence. That is GTP's and Woma's. Hope i helped.... Brad.

In Qld pretty sure you can only keep a max of 2 restricted animals on the basic recreational licence. That is GTP's and Woma's. Hope i helped.... Brad.

And Scrubbies now aswell...but they like to keep that a secret for some reason..

Actually, they're not a 'Restricted reptile'; they're classed as 'International Reptiles' under the legislation (Nature Conservation (Wildlife) Regulations 2006) and the FAQ about International Reptiles, as found on the DERM website states:

How can I keep restricted and international animals?

To purchase and keep restricted and international birds, reptiles and amphibians you must apply for a recreational wildlife licence with an additional endorsement for a restricted or international animal. Restricted and international endorsements for animals require extra assessment by the EPA and will include an additional fee. This usually takes up to 10 working days, but can take longer. More information can be found on the EPA website

The link is here - Frequently asked questions (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

I have to ask though; does anybody do their own research these days? I found this info without to much bother and without having to ask.....

Qld.& gtp,s

The replies are above are not really correct l am afraid : if the gtp is not of Aussie origin in QLD. you will require a "International extension" these only apply to non aussie gtp's and ecelectus parrots, l believe they are still $65.00 for [5] years and are added on to your standard licence, Aussie gtps can be kept on a normal licence [recreational]....cheers solar 17 [Baden].....STEVO2 beat me to it !!!!!

Actually, they're not a 'Restricted reptile'; they're classed as 'International Reptiles' under the legislation (Nature Conservation (Wildlife) Regulations 2006) and the FAQ about International Reptiles, as found on the DERM website states:

The link is here - Frequently asked questions (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

I have to ask though; does anybody do their own research these days? I found this info without to much bother and without having to ask.....

Yes I did research the topic first but obviously I'm not as computer literate as you. And the only dumb question is the one not asked. But thank-you for your reply and I'll chech out the link.

The replies are above are not really correct l am afraid : if the gtp is not of Aussie origin in QLD. you will require a "International extension" these only apply to non aussie gtp's and ecelectus parrots, l believe they are still $65.00 for [5] years and are added on to your standard licence, Aussie gtps can be kept on a normal licence [recreational]....cheers solar 17 [Baden].....STEVO2 beat me to it !!!!!

Sorry my bad.... I've had another read of the regulations and have determined that Green Pythons that are native to Australia are not classed as International Reptiles and are also NOT classed as restricted. They are not mentioned anywhere else, or in any other category, so become 'Least Concern' reptiles - meaning you can keep as many as you like without anything other than the Recreational Licence. Sorry for the misinformation.:oops:

Aussie GTP are restricted, although you can have 2 restricted animals on a recreational licence

Threatend reptiles taken form the DERM site
Reptiles
Common name Scientific name
common death adder Acanthophis antarcticus
Short-necked worm-skink Anomalopus brevicollis
Anomalopus pluto
woma Aspidites ramsayi
Bartleia jigurru
Calyptotis thorntonensis
Carlia scirtetis
Cautula zia
green python (Australian population) Chondropython viridis
Coeranoscincus frontalis
three-toed snake-tooth skink Coeranoscincus reticulatus
Cryptoblepharus fuhni
Ctenotus aphrodite
Ctenotus ariadnae
Ctenotus capricorni
Ctenotus hypatia
Ctenotus rawlinsoni
Ctenotus schevilli
Ctenotus serotinus
Ctenotus zebrilla
Delma mitella
golden-tailed gecko Diplodactylus taenicauda
Emoia atrocostata
Emydura subglobosa
Eroticoscincus graciloides
Eulamprus amplus
Eulamprus frerei
Eulamprus luteilateralis
Eulamprus tigrinus
yellow-naped snake Furina barnardi
Glaphyromorphus mjobergi
Stephens' banded snake Hoplocephalus stephensii
Lampropholis colossus
Lampropholis mirabilis
Lampropholis robertsi
Lepidodactylus pumilus
Lerista ameles
Lerista cinerea
Lerista ingrami
Lerista karlschmidti
Lerista storri
Lerista wilkinsi
Lygisaurus rococo
Lygisaurus tanneri
Sadlier's skink Menetia sadlieri
Nactus galgajuga
Nangur skink Nangura spinosa
Ophioscincus cooloolensis
Ophioscincus truncatus
fierce snake Oxyuranus microlepidotus
ringed thin-gailed gecko Phyllurus caudiannulatus
Phyllurus isis
Collett's snake Pseudechis colletti
Ramphotyphlops broomi
Ramphotyphlops silvia
pink snake Rhinoplocephalus incredibilis
Saltuarius occultus
Saproscincus rosei
Saproscincus spectabilis
robust burrowing snake Simoselaps warro
border thick-tailed gecko Underwoodisaurus sphyrurus
Varanus keithhornei
emerald monitor Varanus prasinus
rusty monitor Varanus semiremex

Endangered Reptiles from DERM site
Allan's skink Lerista allanae
Grey snake Hemiaspis damelii
Leathery turtle Dermochelys coriacea
Loggerhead turtle Caretta caretta
Long-legged worm skink Anomalopus mackayi
Mary River turtle Elusor macrurus
Pacific ridley turtle (olive ridley) Lepidochelys olivacea
South-eastern lined earless dragon Tympanocryptis pinguicolla

Its also interesting to note that N.asper and N.amyae are now commercial species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back