Question for all your new olive keepers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivaceus71

Reaction score
I have kept several olives for a number of years and just thought I would
share my findings with some of you newer liasis's keepers.

Quite a few books offer info that can be misleading in relation to these gentle giants (all but one of mine, who is a total b****). Pythons of Australia by Geordie Torr for example says that these guys are mainly terrestrial and seldom climb trees. considering that these guys enjoy a meal of birds, find it hard to believe that they do not climb trees.

All of my guys have pretty large enclosures, huge water bowl (they love to soak after a big feed), a large hide, and a piece of furniture my other half made that is basically branches attached to a stand that kind of make the shape of a hand, and cradle an upside down half log. Two of my adults spend nearly all of their time perched high up in the air, sleep there and basically only use their hides when they are going to slough.

Just thought for the people who have brought hatchling olives this year to bear it in mind as I think it is kinda sad seeing these big babies confined just to floor space (I also have large branches going from one side to another).

These are great pythons as long as people remember that they DO get large, are eating/crapping machines, and you should not really handle them at full size when you are alone (not easy extracting a 12ft+ snake from a piece of your anatomy) and remember they like their enclosures hot, hot, hot. :twisted:

any thoughts
cheers
olivaceus71

ps sorry for the long posts, am home alone (kid free for a night) and don't know what to do with myself. :twisted:

Loving the info olivaceus71!! Keep it coming! :D
I have noticed that my girl seems to like a climb, but can be pretty clumsy, not caring is she has half of her fall to the ground while she is climbing down of sticks etc. Have you/anyone else ever noticed this? They are very different to the Morelias I've seen who can just about shimmy up the glass, and always ease themselves onto the ground slowly.

Thanks for the tips olivaceus71. Yes Nicole. My kids seem to fall of stuff a lot too. They seem to be able to climb quite well, but do have a habit of falling when they get a little too curious, and over extend themselves.

Cheers Al, I'm glad to hear Clarice is perfectly normal. :)

Olivaceus,

Just a suggestion but why don't you turn it into an article because you obviously seem to know your stuff and future olive owners will get great benefit from this first hand knowledge!

Good info :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

Great info O71

I set my enclosure up basically th same way as I did for my diamond (floor space, A large sandstone rock and 2 interconecting branches) I have to totally agree with you. They love their branches and do spend a fair bit of time on the rock and the ground. One of them has been in the top (hotter) hide for about a week and is in the shedding process. Prior to this they both hung out on their branches. As for falling off - I call them pretty carless compared to my diamond. They don't seem to bother to get much of a wrap with their tails before extending themselves. I expect they will improve once they get a bit more weight to care about. Gret snakes though - I'm totally wrapped even if they're not :D

O71

when you say Hot Hot Hot - how hot. I've set mine up with a gradient from 28 - 35 daytime and room temp - 26 over night. What about humidity?

By the way it's good to read a long informative post. Best thing I've read for a while.

Hey all

Hi everyone im Matt i live in Brisbane and im wanting to no what age is the youngest person on this forum

What size enclosure is needed for an adult olive? I was thinking about 6 foot long 3 foot high and 2 foot deep would that be suitable?

Matt i just sent you a pm.If you need to ask anything you will need to make a new post so the other users in the forum can stick to the titled topic.When you say a photo do you mean a pic in the gallery? or an avatar beside your user name when making a post? you can send me a private message with any questions!

Hey all,
I only ever owned one olive,It must have been the nastiest thing i ever owned.
Not even my jungles are as nasty and they tent to bite every time handled.

My olive use to launch itself at the glass,the day i sold here she was 2 years old and about 6ft.She managed to musk all over the the floor and rip my thump open.

But like all breeds of pythons there are exceptions.
I have bad tempered maccies and very placid scrubbies.

Olive enclosures

I think you'd need to at least double the height to two mtrs. I'm planning on two enclosures for mine and making them 3m wide 2m high and 2m fron to back - that's overkill but I have the space and I love the construction and decoration - I want them to be as natural looking as I can make them. 8)

For enclosures, I am planning 1200h x 1500w x 650d.

How does that sound?
Any feedback for me guys?
Could it be smaller, should it be bigger?

Nicole

that sounds liek a fine size for a big Olive. Almost room enough for sisters and brothers to visit.

:)

... or even distant relatives! We could have a party!! Yay!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back