Questions About Bell's Phase Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the black and white colouration may have something to do with camouflage. As see with the Bell's above on the tree, the patterning blends in perfectly with the tree trunk. Perhaps (though I'm only about 50% sure of this and I'll need to do more surveys to confirm) Bell's are more adapted to an arboreal lifestyle rather than scavenging on the ground (which fits with the patterning of the normal lacies). This would also lead to a reduction in body size amongst the Bell's, which I do seem to have noticed (you find less "monster" Bells' than normals, even in areas where Bell's are common). I doubt that the colour was by chance, as if this mutation did occur for no reason, the vivid and drastically different colouration would lead to a higher rate of predation on Bell's. Again, all this is highly theoretical and by no means confirmed or guaranteed correct, but it is a possibility to ponder. Eventually we may even see a new subspecies...

Sorry Justin I can't agree with anything you have hypothesised above. They are no more arboreal than the normal phase, colour and patterning in the normal phase is as consistent with assisting in camouflage as it is with Bells and, you do get "monster" Bells both in the wild (as attested by Jamie and Cameron I've seen them) and in captivity and their colour pattern and rate of growth disputes your assumption that they would be more prone to predation than the normal ones. I doubt very much that they would ever be considered a subspecies based on colour and patterning alone as this would not be considered a unique enough trait to classify them as such.

On the point of "monster" Bells, I've seen photos of captives that are huge. In fact in one photo there was one up around 2 metres sitting there with the tail of a 1.2m pit mate hanging out of it's mouth.

Again all the best,
George.

Last edited:
Sorry Justin I can't agree with anything you have hypothesised above. They are no more arboreal than the normal phase, colour and patterning in the normal phase is as consistent with assisting in camouflage as it is with Bells and, you do get "monster" Bells both in the wild (as attested by Jamie and Cameron I've seen them) and in captivity and their colour pattern and rate of growth disputes your assumption that they would be more prone to predation that the normal ones. I doubt very much that they would ever be considered a subspecies based on colour and patterning alone as this would not be considered a unique enough trait to classify them as such.

On the point of "monster" Bells, I've seen photos of captives that are huge. In fact in one photo there was one up around 2 metres sitting there with the tail of a 1.2m pit mate hanging out of it's mouth.

Again all the best,
George.
Yeah, just a thought... :)
I don't think I really believe it either, but I'm just trying to get everything I've heard out onto this thread so the APS community can evaluate it.
Somebody's got to do it... :D
But I do wonder... why the colour though? I'm sure it wasn't to make them look pretty...

we used to go camping at tellegherry state forest (near Barrington Tops)for many years,we always used to see a pair of normal lacies who would forage around the campsite.I used to have footage of them stealing sausages and climbing a tree with their ill gotten gains
Post it? Please. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back