Questions About Pygmy Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tildy

So I am getting 3 pygmy beardie hatchies in a couple of weeks so am finishing up my research and prep. I have a 3ft fish tank I can set up for the 3 of them with a heat mat and a heat lamp with thermostats for control. It was the set up that I used with my pygmy python before I upgraded her to her permanent enclosure. I will eventually be upgrading these 3 to a proper enclosure made of wood or similar as I found the fish tank was not great for retaining heat so will only really work for the hot months despite the fact that I have it inside. I have read a fair few care sheets now and as usual everyone has conflicting advice so I have a few questions to help clarify things.

Firstly, substrate. I am using astro turf and a little bit of recycled paper kitty litter with my snake but sand would look awesome. Just concerned about impaction as so many warn against it. I already have washed play sand from bunnings so can I use that? I'm thinking that most of the food that will be moist at all will be on a plate or in a bowl of sorts (the fruit/veg stuff) so that should seriously cut the amount of sand ingested right?

Second, enclosures. Would I be better putting the 3 hatchies into a smaller tank till they grow a bit or will they adjust ok to all the space? I don't want to turn them into nervous wrecks so I can get a cheap smaller tank if needs be. If I need a smaller one, what size would be best. Also, would a 4ft enclosure work to hold 3 pygmies permanently? Could I get away with 4? Also, does the male/female combination make a difference? They are all going to be from the same batch of eggs so will be siblings if that makes a difference.

Lastly, if anyone has a favourite link for care sheets or a comprehensive link on what they can and cannot eat I would love to have it. They are going to be pets for the kids (under supervision) so I want to make a care sheet with the basics and a separate sheet of safe and unsafe foods that I can stick to the tank so the kids can have something to reference instead of having to ask me all the time. We also grow some herbs and veg so I can provide a decent variety so long as I know what is safe.

Anyway, if you got to the end of this novel then thank you, and thanks in advance for any advice you have.

I may start an argument here but here's how I keep mine and I haven't had a death or single issue in 4 years. They are kept in a 4ft tank MF breeding pair, for lighting I have a hood with 2 UVB globes and 2 normal energy saver globes, their hot spot of 42C is achieved by using a halogen light directed onto a rock, none of this is linked to a thermostat as it would kill the globes and the temp in the cool end is low enough that on a hot day they can escape the heat. In winter we put a heat cord under the sand in the cool end because the temps drop pretty low here.

They are on washed sand (cleaning is easy with a course sieve .) Veggies are placed in a bowl, crickets and woodies left to run free.

A big big tank will be fine for youngsters provided they have plenty of hides spread across the enclosure.

^^^ This is a sweet setup and is pretty much what you'd want to be aiming for.

I may start an argument here but here's how I keep mine and I haven't had a death or single issue in 4 years. They are kept in a 4ft tank MF breeding pair, for lighting I have a hood with 2 UVB globes and 2 normal energy saver globes, their hot spot of 42C is achieved by using a halogen light directed onto a rock, none of this is linked to a thermostat as it would kill the globes and the temp in the cool end is low enough that on a hot day they can escape the heat. In winter we put a heat cord under the sand in the cool end because the temps drop pretty low here.

They are on washed sand (cleaning is easy with a course sieve .) Veggies are placed in a bowl, crickets and woodies left to run free.

A big big tank will be fine for youngsters provided they have plenty of hides spread across the enclosure.

you pretty much took the words out of my mouth,I have something similar.4' wooden enclosure divided in 2 so m/f seperated except for breeding season.Shared 2' flouro with a spot lamp at each end,all run on timers & all else is the same times 2 as I have 1 pair 3yo and 1 pair 2yo.I started them in a 2' tank then moved up to a 3' and then built the 4 footers.Never had a problem with sand either.

- - - Updated - - -

I missed a couple of points in my first reply;
1; don't be too freaked out by horror stories of impaction,most of these are fairy tales from America where they use horrible products like calci sand which turns to cement in the gut.If you practice good hygene and have good temps you wont have a problem,in fact most impaction is caused by feeding too large a food item.
2; 3-4 would be okay in 4' if 1M and 2-3 F
3; http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Good point, I forgot to mention that for ease I have the lights running on a timer that turns on 45min before I leave for work so they are warmed up and can be fed before I leave.

That site is amazing dragonlover! Thanks guys for the info. I have most of the equipment I need on hand it seems so all I will need to do is sort out the uv light and I am set. I also already keep crickets and mealworms (I know only as treats for older dragons) cause I have birds and a spider that love them. Am glad I can put the babies straight into the 3ft tank as that is already washed and in place so that will make things easier. I am open for anymore tips or tricks to keep these little guys in top condition. They may be the kids pets but like with most kids pets, I will end up doing most of the care for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back