QUESTIONS ON SHE OAK SKINK. HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmalee

Reaction score
Hello, so I have just gotten a fully grown she oak skink and am wanting to keep her as my buddy. Although it is extremely hard to find information on them so I was wondering does anyone know what lights and wattage is needed for them? And any other vital and important information I need to know. Thanks!!

Hello, so I have just gotten a fully grown she oak skink and am wanting to keep her as my buddy. Although it is extremely hard to find information on them so I was wondering does anyone know what lights and wattage is needed for them? And any other vital and important information I need to know. Thanks!!
I take it you are in Tasmania.
You want to have a basking spot of about 30 degrees. It can be a little higher as the skink will seek shelter once it is too warm. With lighting and wattages you will just have to play around to get the right hot spot. Phillips spot globes from a hardware will be your best bet in terms of globe.
Post a couple of pictures so we can see her colouring.

When you say you have "gotten one", I get the feeling this is not an animal you have purchased. Would that be correct?

would like to point out without a license they are illegal to keep and you can be charged for it, tho i guess it's already done and so we should focus on it getting correct care, but she oak skins don't make good companions as they are nocturnal along with skittish and a bluetongue would be better.

I take it you are in Tasmania.
You want to have a basking spot of about 30 degrees. It can be a little higher as the skink will seek shelter once it is too warm. With lighting and wattages you will just have to play around to get the right hot spot. Phillips spot globes from a hardware will be your best bet in terms of globe.
Post a couple of pictures so we can see her colouring.
I am definitely in tassie. I have one photo at the moment. Trying to leave her alone as she is in a bit of shock. She had her tail shut in a door by some idiot. So she's just resting. Is there any other care information that is incredibly important when caring for these skinks? Thank you so much for your help.

image.jpeg

without a license they are illegal to collect*

(not trying to bash you for it, and it's good you've taken time out of your day to try and help him/her.)

Last edited by a moderator:
would like to point out without a license they are illegal to keep and you can be charged for it, tho i guess it's already done and so we should focus on it getting correct care, but she oak skins don't make good companions as they are nocturnal along with skittish and a bluetongue would be better.
I am planning on getting a license as I already knew it was illegal and don't really wanna be charged.

You can't actually collect something from the wild then apply for a licence... the collected animal will not be on your licence...

Well I am just wanting to help her as she was In Shock when we found her and I was planning on owning a lizard in general. Preferably a she oak. So even if I can't keep this one I would like to get a license and care for a she oak at some stage

@Emmalee
Get your license sorted asap. I'll get a member on here to contact you who can point you in the right direction.

Collecting in Tasmania legal.

Not convinced I'm afraid.................

Reptiles and amphibians are protected in Tasmania under the Nature Conservation Act 2002 and the Threatened Species Protection Act 1995.
  • They may not be taken or kept in captivity without a permit with the following exceptions:
    • up to six specimens of each of the common froglet, brown tree frog, metallic skink and spotted skink may be collected outside of National Parks and other reserves and kept without a permit;
    • frogs eggs and tadpoles may be taken and kept without a permit. A tadpole becomes a frog when its tail is absorbed. If metamorphosed frogs are not the above species, they should be returned to their water body of origin.
  • People who wish to take and/or keep other species must obtain a Herpetology Permit from the Wildlife Management

I don't think an apology is needed Paul. I would have thought the same if I didn't know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back