Quick diamond ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyber_crimes

OK hopefully this will be a short 1,I know ive been on about diamonds for the past fortnight now lol. :lol: I was wondering what everyone thinks about breeding annually?I have read you should breed them every 2nd or 3rd year,but if I incubate eggs artificially the females shouldnt lose much weight.Has anyone here bred there Diamonds yearly with good results? Does DPS have anything to do with breeding annually?Is there any bad effects from this at all?

PS I have read that Diamonds WILL NOT breed every year and if they do it causes DPS. (I dont believe this but would like to find the truth)
I also have a friend that bred hes Diamonds every year for 4 years, and he only lost 1 female to DPS in that time.(not sure if it was because of annually breeding)

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Paul youd have a good comment for me on this one! whats your oppinion here?

It'll come down to personal choice CC, (as opposed to Breeders Choice), as I don't think anyone can tell you at this time what causes DPS. I know I haven't been keeping snakes long compared to most people here, but in the 12 or 18 months I have been into them your friend is the first one I have heard of who has lost a Diamond to DPS.

Yea,
Apparently one of hes females died from respitory problem,he said it was DPS. But in my honest oppinion I dont see how it was related to constant breeding as he had like 4 other fems that handled it fine.
I just thought id toss this question out there and see if anyone has experience with annually breeding them and how they went.Hopefully it'll be my last comment on Diamonds as ive been trying to get everything i can on the species before purchasing any.

And good questions they have been too, thought provoking and answered informatively in the most part. Thats what community living is all about to me :) Keep those questions coming buddy, don't dry up on us now :)

I would be interested to learn what you find out about yearly breeding with your diamonds John, and also, is there evidence of DPS in Australia, or is it a stateside thing, because of the heating they need to supply for keeping them there in their cold winters?

quick diamond

hi john

we have and i know of many that have breed female diamonds back to back but that is only done once and then they are given a year off.
even with artifical incubation a female still goes through a hard time producing and laying eggs and if they arnt being power fed after the laying it can somtims take a while to get them back to origanal condition.
considering that over feeding may be a factor in dps the last thing you would want to do to a female that has layed is this type of feeding.
if after laying she is still in reasonable condition and you can get her back up to scratch with out over feeding we cant see a problem with breeding her the following year. but if she has lost weight to the extent that you feel that you have to feed her extra maybe instead plan for her to have a rest the comming season.

just our opinion..
cheers paul.

Ahhh Thanks paul,
Your insight to the hobby is a value to us all.
I take it you mean if the females are in good physical condition they can breed 2 years in a row,but you still recomend a year off after that.I pretty much figured that would be the go but wanted to make sure anyhow.Id buy extra females in that case.

quick diamond

hi john .
another thing to think about.

when a female lays her eggs,, dont judge her condition then, she is not going to look good at first look..dont make the decision on her condition untill after she has feed and returned to her normal shape.
a freshly deflated female isnt going to look pretty on first inspection. but that shape is very much superfical at the start and they quickly regain there normal shape.
guess just like a woman :)
cheers paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back