R.I.P. Arty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipcdame

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Yesterday saw the passing of our precious fur baby, my 'baby boy', Arthur. He was an English Mastiff X Shepherd, and the most placid, laid back, gentle giant it was ever our pleasure to own, love and be loved by.
We got him just over eleven years ago, and have had eleven years of such joy and fun with him. He was a playmate for our teenage son, rollicking around and rough-housing each other around the back garden, play fighting for the rope, yet he was also a gentle guardian of my three year old granddaughter several years ago, playing with his rope with her, but without an ounce of roughness in him. He seemed to know.
Friday night, he seemed a little out of sorts, Saturday morning, he was bringing up everything he could, even a sip of water seemed to do an immediate U-turn and come out straight away. A visit to the vet, antibiotics and anti-emetic jabs and the possibility of perhaps an enlarged spleen, and we were home with him again, with instructions to withold all food and water till yesterday morning.
He still wasn't right, in fact a little worse, he was lethargic and weak. Back to the vets, who sent us straight to the emergency hospital for rehydration and a full check up. We took him straight there, he was so uncomplaining, putting up with everything that was going on around him. My last view of him was him being led into the treatment room, as he followed the vet without even looking back. the phone call with the dreadful news came two and a half hours later, it was not only a shock to us, but the vets too.
I have lost my best little mate, my shadow, he was never very far from where I was. He slept on the floor at the foot of the bed all through winter because of his arthritis, I couldn't sleep last night, there was no licking as he cleaned himself, no movement, no groaning as he finally got into position to sleep, nor big sighs or snoring (which he did quite loud).
I will miss you my beautiful baby boy, life will never be the same again without you.

I'm so sorry. My dog was taken from me yesterday, also. I've been distraught ever since. I wasn't even able to be there with him, and have so many regrets of not doing more stuff with him while I had the chance.

So very sorry for the loss of your precious friend. RIP Arty. Thinking of you and yours now Dipcdame.

Thanks everyone, Kawasakirider, sorry to hear of your loss too. We put ourselves through this trauma, but I always say that the years of unconditional love and affection you get (and companionship) makes it all worthwhile. I would do it again in a flash if I weren't so brokenhearted over Arthur!
Our other dog is beginning to realise somethings wrong, and starting to look for his playmate. Just bought him some toys and stuff in the hopes he will play with them, we will be going out to play with him a bit more often for a while. Now, THIS one's a real boofhead, and a lot smaller, built like a corgi, no manners, muleheaded, an absolute bull-in-a-chinashop, but we still love him!!

thats so sad, sorry for your loss :(

(you too KR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back