Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Anybody ever used those radiant enclosure heaters?
they are a metal box with an element inside, can be bought in various wattages (see herpshop if you don't know what I'm talking about.)
I am setting up 6 new enclosures at the moment and would like to go with these in all of them. They should have a lifespan of forever and emit no visible light. Also have very low risk of thermal burn unlike ceramic globes.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them or knows of any problems they can have. :D

Talking to Brian about them they do appear to be pretty good but I believe you still have to position them where the animal cant get at them or guard them from the surface. I think you are right about the lifespan and if you hurry I would talk to Brian by phone about them, he does answer your questions honestly and won't BS you. Also they are the Feb special on herpshop at the moment so good savings to be made especially if your thinking of 6 of 'em. If you do go with them keep us informed mate as I too fancy using them in my next enclosure :)

Yeah, was gunna put them on the ceiling in my tall (1.2m high) coastal enclosures with a wall mounted hide box and a branch below. For the low (450mm) stimsons enclosures I was gunna also ceiling mount but with the hide box on the ground under them. So unless they actually press themselves against it and hold themselves there, burns shouldn't be an issue. Gets rid of ugly mesh cages around the heat source. Also i like the idea of a radiant heat source from above, kinda like the sun! :D Also doesn't mess up the natural photo period at all so I think it might help the snakes to know what season it is and all that.

It all sounds good to me Maggie, I like the idea of zero light too thats why I use some ceramics but as you say you still have to guard them so these new radiants seem to be the answer. Now the only question remaining is whether to purchase or make them :)

Well, I have ordered 6 of the 50W heaters from Brian.
So when I get my enclosures and get the heating up and running, I will let you all know how I go. Also ordered a hatchling water python on thursday, unsure when I will take delivery of it. :D

I also am looking foward to your response, as I have orded an enclosure from brain for a coastal carpet python and was thinking of getting a radient heater but chose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back