Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
surley over time this is how most local specific morelia came about until their numbers were so large that the were documented and labeled?

this diamond plus this diamond created this diamond or are they diamond at all feel free to debate over this

Attachments

• Ziggy3.jpg
    Ziggy3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 86
  • zirconias mum.jpg
    zirconias mum.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 80
  • zirconia #2.jpg
    zirconia #2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 98
IMO the parents are a classic example of the confusion around diamonds and intergrades. You post those pics in either a diamond or intergrade thread and they would fit. The offspring however I think would be labelled an intergrade or maybe even a cross. I'm not doubting what they are just pointing out what I think most people who get involved in these threads would label them.
Nice snakes by the way, especially the young one.

the first pic is from the worleys line the second is a pure diamond which would make the young one a??????????

More knowledgable people correct me if I'm wrong but I would say, diamond x intergrade in its simplest non fancy name form.

the second snake would fit in one of those pictures to make your eyes go funny .

It is beautiful :)

the word intergrade doesnt sound as good as rainforest or northern diamond

Exactly, call them whatever you like. There beautiful snakes and I'd be more than happy if I had them in my collection regardless of what they are. I especially like the young one, would go very well with one of my "northern" diamonds.

Don't know what the Intergrades look like that far north (...and was always of the belief that the intergrade zone extended to Coffs Harbour, maybe not). The ones I have seen wild around Port Macquarie are quite distinctive from a Coastal or a Diamond - you would not have a lot of trouble identifying them.
i live just past coffs at a place called mullaway , have most of my life and i find animals that are most deffinetly not what you would call straight up coastals , they definitely have an intergrade appearance like this one for instance , caught it under my verandah one late one night in mullaway approximately 30 mins NORTH of coffs (oh and the pics dont show it well but the flecks where a yellowy green colour )

however travel a few km inland i have never found anything even close to an intergrade , they all look like standard coastals

Attachments

• 19112012(003).jpg
    19112012(003).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
the word intergrade doesnt sound as good as rainforest or northern diamond

I personally prefer Port Macquarie python.......gives it a locale with some definition of where they are found. Northern Diamond or Rainforest Diamond are nice names, but I think giving them a locale based named gives them a little more credence.

I have a couple of pics of a really nice wild Port Mac Python that was residing in the back yard of a work colleague who abutts natural bushland reserve not far from my house. They are not great pics.....but you can see how nice a specimen it is and how it differs from Coastals and Diamonds. Will try to post them up

I personally prefer Port Macquarie python.......gives it a locale with some definition of where they are found. Northern Diamond or Rainforest Diamond are nice names, but I think giving them a locale based named gives them a little more credence.

I have a couple of pics of a really nice wild Port Mac Python that was residing in the back yard of a work colleague who abutts natural bushland reserve not far from my house. They are not great pics.....but you can see how nice a specimen it is and how it differs from Coastals and Diamonds. Will try to post them up

Ok...Here are the pics. Got them loaded quicker than I thought. Sorry for the poor quality, the photographer was not a snake enthusiast!

This fellow hung around the back corner of a work colleagues yard in Port Macquarie - his property adjoins a large'ish bushland reserve. It was there for a day or two before moving on. He only found it because he chased a stray cat along his rear fenceline - the cat took off then 'froze' instantly in one location. He wandered over and found the python!

I questioned him about the very bright green colours - they were not the result of a flash, the snake was actually quite bright in green/lime/yellow. I have seen similar pics of specimens from the area also. From what I have seen of them, they are quite different to high grade yellow Diamonds - they are very 'green' by comparison, and sort of lack the 'black specking' between the yellow/green (for want of a better term....don't know the technically correct one!).

When I look at these, I don't see any confusion with Diamond or Coastal, although some further north and south may not be as brightly coloured or marked.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 86
Wow, Bart, very green. Healthy too!

They are a lovely looking thing in the wild Norm. He has probably been kept plump on stray cats and rats that frequent come of our reserves around town!

I have a hatchy that was bred by a local breeder who has identical markings....even got the bright lines behind the head. He is still colouring up but he is going to be beautiful in 12 months time. Lovely placid nature also. Can't wait for him to get a bit bigger and colour up properly

Ok...Here are the pics. Got them loaded quicker than I thought. Sorry for the poor quality, the photographer was not a snake enthusiast!

This fellow hung around the back corner of a work colleagues yard in Port Macquarie - his property adjoins a large'ish bushland reserve. It was there for a day or two before moving on. He only found it because he chased a stray cat along his rear fenceline - the cat took off then 'froze' instantly in one location. He wandered over and found the python!

I questioned him about the very bright green colours - they were not the result of a flash, the snake was actually quite bright in green/lime/yellow. I have seen similar pics of specimens from the area also. From what I have seen of them, they are quite different to high grade yellow Diamonds - they are very 'green' by comparison, and sort of lack the 'black specking' between the yellow/green (for want of a better term....don't know the technically correct one!).

When I look at these, I don't see any confusion with Diamond or Coastal, although some further north and south may not be as brightly coloured or marked.

Very nice looking snake :) I have found a few around Port that lean a lot more towards the diamond side though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back