Rainwater tank as outdoor enclosure / lizard pit?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I got an old rainwater tank (with a base) and intend to use it as an outdoor enclosure / lizard pit for Turok.

It is 1.65m tall. Not sure of the diameter but my guess would be 2m.

Have left about 10-15cm of the lid intact to prevent any escapes or uninvited guests,

Really just after ideas of what substrate I should use (also how much / deep) and generally how I should lay it all out? Obviously I'd want something that holds together well so he can burrow.

Would you use one or two big rocks or a bunch of smaller ones?

There is a spare outlet not far from where the tank is so I could use a heat cord in a hide box as supplemental heating for cold nights / winter. Would that be enough or should I use overhead heating too?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Providing a heated box is a good idea. If there is plenty of sun a heat light probably isn't need. Be careful how you setup the heat cord, you need to avoid over heating and I have had large monitors snap them too. Any soil with a bit of clay content will hold together well, about 300mm or so deep is good, but any depth is fine really. Be careful if you use rocks, they either need to be very heavy and placed so they cannot move or light enough not to crush the lizard. Branches and hollow logs are easier to position safely.

I would consider making some sort of mesh lid to allow more climbing space too.

Thanks for the advice and ideas. Sorry I should of said that he's a 14 month old Yellow Spotted Monitor.
Yeah, I thought I remembered you posting that and checked the monitor thread. I run a heat lamp on mine in Brisbane, but only when there is not full sun and because I'm not sure how well they are adapted to cold conditions. While the species occurs in cold parts of Qld, I dunno if those collected up north are likely to handle the cold as well, so I'm possibly heating more than required.

You will need good drainage too. Also with the mesh lid, it may also be needed to keep out cats, foxes, baited rats and other potentially harmful stuff.

Is it a boy or girl?

Yeah, I thought I remembered you posting that and checked the monitor thread. I run a heat lamp on mine in Brisbane, but only when there is not full sun and because I'm not sure how well they are adapted to cold conditions. While the species occurs in cold parts of Qld, I dunno if those collected up north are likely to handle the cold as well, so I'm possibly heating more than required.

You will need good drainage too. Also with the mesh lid, it may also be needed to keep out cats, foxes, baited rats and other potentially harmful stuff.

Is it a boy or girl?

Given how old he is and judging by his length.. I'm going to go with boy. But I can't be sure.

Cool, is it from Darwin? Got a girl here who needs to start pumping out babies...
[doublepost=1540272454,1540272301][/doublepost]
Cool, is it from Darwin? Got a girl here who needs to start pumping out babies...

Oh yeah the boys have two dicks that you can see by using a flash light.

While we're on the subject of outdoor enclosures. What's the absolute minimum temp that a Yellow Spotted Monitor could cope with. Just want an idea so I know if I will have to use supplemental heating or not over night. I've heard anything from 10c up to around 17c.

Currently in the process of measuring outdoor (in tank though) overnight air temp / underground temp (weather station sensor in a sandwich-type resealable plastic bag buried a foot or so down).

Also I'll be going away for a few days starting Friday. I don't really think I should feed him much before I go since he wont have heating on from Friday Arvo until Monday Arvo. Obviously he will still have a water bowl in his enclosure while I'm away (plus I usually give him a gulp or so of water from a cup every day.)

Should I leave the food altogether or just offer smaller sized chicken necks / Mice / Chick / Rat / Woodies?

Plan to put him in the outdoor enclosure when we get back.

Cheers.

While we're on the subject of outdoor enclosures. What's the absolute minimum temp that a Yellow Spotted Monitor could cope with. Just want an idea so I know if I will have to use supplemental heating or not over night. I've heard anything from 10c up to around 17c.

Currently in the process of measuring outdoor (in tank though) overnight air temp / underground temp (weather station sensor in a sandwich-type resealable plastic bag buried a foot or so down).

Also I'll be going away for a few days starting Friday. I don't really think I should feed him much before I go since he wont have heating on from Friday Arvo until Monday Arvo. Obviously he will still have a water bowl in his enclosure while I'm away (plus I usually give him a gulp or so of water from a cup every day.)

Should I leave the food altogether or just offer smaller sized chicken necks / Mice / Chick / Rat / Woodies?

Plan to put him in the outdoor enclosure when we get back.

Cheers.

The species occurs in areas where temperatures go well below zero, however I doubt the one you have is from these areas. Also even in areas where it goes well under zero they would be hibernating in a stable microclimate that would be relatively warm. Providing an insulated heated box is the best idea IMO. The other thing to watch is that it doesn't get too hot, while monitors require a high temps, too much can kill them just like with other reptiles.

Like most reptiles they can be left without for months without an issue, but i doubt it will be too cold to feed him at this time of year.

Just thought I'd update this.

He seems to be settling in well. Digs his own burrows everyday. Plus we made a permanent one for him. Going to put a large cut out long in there soon too.

I was a bit worried cause' he wasn't eating for the first few days. But he's all good now but has odd behaviour about it though. I've tried to put his food in a food bowl so it doesn't get so sandy. Sometimes he takes it from there. Other times he wont take it until I get in the tank and basically hand feed him.

20181110_153709 resize.jpg 20181110_153814 resize.jpg
[doublepost=1557733221,1542517747][/doublepost]One more update about heating and temps over Winter, since it's got a lot colder recently. Gave a him a little feed of small Chicken Necks about a week ago, but hasn't been active for a few days, since we had about an inch of Rain.

Has a heat cord down his burrow set to 22c and it never drops below this (was around 24c this morning). Also remains dry. Should I bump the temp up a bit or just leave it be and he'll be fine (even if he doesn't emerge again until Winter is over)?

Just a little worried I guess as it's his first Winter outside.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back