Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The spider looks to be a wolf spider , the markings are very unusual compared to my local species but there are 9 genera and over 130 species which make up the Lycosa genus.,
Great shot of it well done

Weird place for a frog to camp out. I think it must like the Lilo & Stitch sticker :p It looks like Dainty Green Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta).

Aaron

Cheers Wizz, he was definately a stunner! And thanks Cracksinthepitch, I tried IDing it briefly before through this random site and gave up lol...

Thanks Aaron, I knew he was some sort of tree frog, and definately not a GTF, but thats as far as my knowledge goes with him lol. I dont have much more experience with frogs than that as of yet... Haha yeh... he's still here 2 days later! He's still alive, and has shifted spots on my laptop... only cms at a time... away from the sticker lol... I spray him lightly a couple times a day so he doesnt dry out completely as my fan is on a lot...I was going to relocate him outside, but I kinda like him here keeping me company while I type, plus if he's anything like the GTF's in our house, he'd be territorial and be straight back here the next nite... So I'm not going to disturb him...I've only accidently bumped him a couple times coz I forgot he was there and didnt know he was still there, and he doesnt even bat an eyelid...just sits there in the same position and maybe re-shuffles a bit...

I also have 2 GTF's that live in my room, one in one corner in behind my snakes and lizards, and the other just outside my door... I thought it was one that moved really quickly, until I picked one up to wash all the fluff off it and bumped into the other lol.

hey, sorry i didnt reply earlyer, havent been online in a while. The spider is a hunstman of some sort, i'm not great with them so cant get much more specific than that. The scorpion is a Lychas, probably papuanus which is the most common species in the area. No idea on the millipede either, been trying to get them id'd myself for a while.

Thanks Hornet.

The Dainty Tree Frog is still living on my laptop a week or two later! Which has really shocked me...

This is this mornings find... He was wanting a shower with mum lol. Poor thing was riddled with skin worms tho... After a few pics, we relocated him outside. He wasnt aggressive at all...Seemed pretty timid, and flinched everytime the flash went off.

29thDecember2008-8thJanuary2009003.jpg

29thDecember2008-8thJanuary2009004.jpg

29thDecember2008-8thJanuary2009012.jpg

29thDecember2008-8thJanuary2009013.jpg

29thDecember2008-8thJanuary2009015.jpg

P.S. Excuse the mess lol. In the middle of reno's...which is taking FOREVER! :rolleyes::lol:

Ok, so a 5m relocation of that mouse stealing BTS obviously wasn't far enough away... As I was replying to a thread, mum yells out to tell me there was a snake in my mouse cage...AGAIN... Goes to get it and its the same damn BTS as the other week! So I have now relocated it to our old delapidated caravan down the bottom of our driveway roughly 50-75m away which is absolutely riddled with mice and located right next to a rodent infested old shed... HOPEFULLY he will be happier down there... The caravan has many points of entry/escape with holes through the roof and walls and windows with no glass left in them, so he isn't trapped and free to come or go as he pleases...

We'll see in a week or two if he prefers it down there I would say... I didn't take any pics, as I didn't want to lose what I was going to say in a post LOL! Plus, he had already graced me with photos the first time...and didnt want to keep him any longer than needed... I hope he likes it down there enough to stay there and stop making terrifying visits to my poor mice...lol Or maybe he will make a visit to our horrid neighbours and scare the crap out of them! :lol: I should really think about fixing that little gap in the lid of my mice cage....then the problem will be solved once and for all hehehehe

aww i love gts's 8) Great pics Ish, really enjoyed havin a looksy, thanks for sharing!

thals :D

Thanks pythonrockchick1, I love them too! They are definately on the wishlist! Once I get a place of my own and stuff I will eventually get some for sure! Although not looking forward to their messy passings and the cleaning of the enclosures lol... They are still a definate favourite of mine... Love the blue that comes out in them when they puff up...its like a rainbow! LOL!

Cheers megrim, they may be beautiful looking animals, but they are an artist at getting into tricky places and also great at finding their way back to those places...much to my dismay...lol. They also have really bad smelling pee (compared to pythons) that they love to flick everywhere!

Thanks Laura_M, It usually takes 30-50+ (or however many the animal will let you take before bolting and pulling a Houdini on you) photos to get those few cracker photos... It all depends on how still the animal stays for you and the lighting (I also have to fiddle with the flash settings each time as sometimes flash gives me better shots, and sometimes it over-exposes)...Those are the main factors that make or break a shot for me, and depending on the time of day, the camera settings i.e. at night, its usually on Programmed, or Manual with Macro on...but if I use either of those settings during the day, all the shots come up MAJORLY over-exposed, so I have to use the Auto setting with Macro on, which doesn't work at night...Go figure! To me they are both the same hehehe... And hence the reason I am far from a professional photographer! :lol:

Hehehe the vid took me 3 goes before I figured out that you can have the Macro setting on for videos too... I was really stoked that I caught it licking its eye on camera! Would have been cool if I got a still picture of it doing that! But knowing me, I would have taken the shot just as it put its tongue back in its mouth and by the time my camera stopped thinking it probably would have stopped licking its eye. Its a bit of a rough vid i.e. jerky movements etc, but I'm still happy with it.:p

Here's a few shots of the 3rd time I had to relocate the imposter BTS...Figuring 5m and 50m relocations didn't work, I relocated him 500-1000m away this time and havent seen him since...Thank God! As there werent many mice left, maybe 6 out of the original 15 or so that I had when it started happening....Anyways some shots, he looks either shameful, or he's pretending that he cant see me/trying to hide with the mentality of "If I can't see you, you cant see ME!" LOL! Enjoy

16thJanuary-7thFebruary2009013.jpg

16thJanuary-7thFebruary2009014.jpg

Either that, or he was just sleeping! Then when I woke him up, he was like "I'm outta here!....Now that the lid is open and I can actually FIT back out...See you next time children (nextime I will have YOU for dinner!)" LOL!

16thJanuary-7thFebruary2009017.jpg

I swear its the same repeat offender BTS, but then again it could just be clutchmates etc, either way havent seen him since :)

Oh it IS annoying! They arent the only thing that drop in for dinner with the mice either! Hatchy Coastals have also frequented them, although the last hatchie to do it ended up with bite marks everywhere and a shorter tail...which was sad, but yeh...We have many different snakes on our land, in the last month, I have seen GTS's, BTS's, Coastals, what I thought was a Keelback (It ran away before I could get a better, closer look at it) and there are also Tai's and all sorts here snake wise, havent even mentioned lizards lol

ah sweet, you should post some pics of all the wild reptiles you have around, sounds like you have heaps. how many acres do you have? what type of habitats are on your land?

Missed this thread great pics Ishah......keep em coming! :)

Your heaps lucky having all these guys hanging around, even if they are a pain in the A....

We have 82 odd acres, hehehe according to one of my field guides, where I am, its CQC (Central Qld Coast), and according to the pics in another, describing types of habitat, I'd say, maybe Tropical woodland, dry sclerophyll forest, and maybe some vine thicket ??? I'm probably not the best person to ask when describing the kinds of habitat on our property lol sorry! Even though we learnt how to describe habitats in Ecology last year LOL! How ironic! I will have to go take some habitat shots one day LOL!

Most of the wild herps Ive seen around here (my house) are scattered throughout this thread, but there are still a lot more that I have seen here without camera in hand unfortunately, but the thought is there atleast lol! Wish I could have got some shots of the Keelback, it was very unusually coloured etc. The way dad was describing it, I thought it was just another BTS, so didnt bother getting the camera for it :( This is only the common/frequently occuring stuff I see, the other (usually more exciting and interesting) stuff I either dont have my camera coz im not expecting to encounter them, or my camera has dead batteries!

Thanks Southside Morelia, it is a pain when they are desicrating my mice colony, but still so much more awesome to see all the different herps I live with and to see that they are thriving etc...Eventually I should get my butt into gear and go for a serious herp around my joint to see what else lurks beneath the shadows... Up until now, its just stuff that invade my house etc, just need someone to come for a serious herping with me to motivate me LOL! Not that I need the extra motivation to go herping, coz I LOVE it! I just feel safer etc and its more fun if I go with someone else, but hey! Im a girl, so Im allowed to feel that way :lol: Would most likely ***** myself if I came face to face with a Tai by myself!

Ryan,

Here is a few quick shots from around mine, not the best, nor do they represent the different habitats around my property properly, they were just taken very quickly from the carpark and it shows roughly a 250degree radius/view (out of the 280-290 view that we actually have) of mine and the view we have etc etc, and its generally a chronological order of shots (if that makes sense). I didnt particularly feel like going for a trek all around mine trying to find the best shots to represent the best types of habitat as best I could etc, as it was getting late etc as you can see in the shots, but there are a variety of different niches and habitats around on our property I assure you! LOL! Anyways, here they are... (We can see most of the highway coming into town etc - around 5-10kms worth of the highway, which is a LOT considering most of everyone elses views, its fairly cool!)

(Btw, excuse the random Earthmoving gear and associated stuff, LOL! Its just what we do, and it kinda looks messy haha but where else can you store those kinda Machines, work vehicles, tools etc:lol:)

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009001.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009002.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009003.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009004.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009005.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009006.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009007.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009008.jpg

7thFebruary-1stMarch2009009.jpg

Hmmm, mainly just shows where we cleared years ago, but yeh, you can see where the habitats would be, in all those foresty uncleared areas etc...I did try tho! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back