Rat breeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpy

Reaction score
Having trouble breeding the lil suckers. Moved at christmas 2009 and started a new lot. But there refusing to do there job. Cool area, nice food. 2 males/2females, 1 male/2females, 1 male/1 female and 2/3 or 4 breeding boxes and one "death" row box. Remove the weeners about 3 weeks old. Befor christmas was just free for all and was selling excess stock. Then this lot stared eating some babies. (same linage with 2 differnt males thrown in the mix during the year) Not getting the desired amount. What am i doinng wrong? Thanks

I have heard there diet helps try using dry dog food or cat food because it has protein in it to stop them eating the babies I did this and they haven't stopped but have slowed down on eating there young
Hope it helps a little someone correct me as I'm not 100% sure

Age of the breeders make all the difference....Males taper off after 6 months and females start to dwindle after 12 months.
They love lots of nesting material such as wood shavings and shredded paper this makes a difference
Cheers
Sandee :)

Last edited:
Would just shredded paper be good enough for a type of bedding? Like nothing else ?
Thanx shaye

Age of the breeders make all the difference....Males taper off after 6 months and females start to dwindle after 12 months.
They love lots of nesting material such as wood shavings and shredded paper this makes a difference
Cheers
Sandee :)
yeah thats what i was told they both [ male and female ] can burn out pretty quick from breeding too much [ not giving th female a break between litters] i have 3 tubs that i use for future breeders , that will go into the breeding cycle once old enough.

Most of the rats only live just past there 2nd litter. Using shavings and have enough room. Used to use dog food but changed to rat food and give them carrots and lettuce regually.

100_1748.jpg

100_1747.jpg

whats that Baden ?

You are better off looking it up on Wikipedia, there is a great explanation on there and [imo] approx. 75% of collections have it, on another note my rats have 8-10 litters before they go to the big rat cage in the sky.....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Is it possible to start off with just say 2-3 females to 1 male per tub and would not have to separate the females while they are pregnant? I'm thinking of starting from scratch with new rats ??

Is it possible to start off with just say 2-3 females to 1 male per tub and would not have to separate the females while they are pregnant? I'm thinking of starting from scratch with new rats ??
it deppends on the size of the tub , to what ratio to use.

Yeh but I'm just asking whether u will still have to separate the females from the groups?? Or is that what u mean ??
I would only put enuf that would suit the siZe of the tub as in if the tub isn't big put 2/1 in instead of 3/1

Yeh but I'm just asking whether u will still have to separate the females from the groups?? Or is that what u mean ??
I would only put enuf that would suit the siZe of the tub as in if the tub isn't big put 2/1 in instead of 3/1
some pepole do seperate the males from the females during and after the female is pregnant , i have tryed it both ways .

I use the same setup as "SHARPY" just with better lids lol
I started with 4 females and 1 male per tub but am going to cut that back to maybe 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 as only producing 15 to 20 weaners at a time per tub.
Feed them on trueblue dog food (same size and shape of lab rat food) heaps of protein and they breed non stop.
Only real issue is as i said im running a little to many per tub and so losing a few babies through being lost, knocked about by older babies, parents stealing from others nest etc etc.
I dont separate any of the males or females they all stay in the tub only thing i take out are weaning rats.

Just a quick question for other rat breeders, what ages do u safely wean your rats?
Ive looked it up and says 5-6 weeks but i reckon there eating food as soon as they can see it.

I always thought jt was when there eyes are right open and there happily running around well that's what I do with my mice
So just dog food not eat cubes ?

ive used both proper rat food and the trueblue dog food and both are good.
I use the dog food as its available from my local produce place and the rat cubes are not.
Cost me bout $22.50 for 20kg bag has 21% protein and 11% fat if i remember correctly.
Is same size and shape as proper rat cubes so rats can chew it through the mesh the same.

Hi All,
I've only just started recently and my first run through on litters went fine and I'm starting the next cycle. The way I've done mine is to put breeding females with the male, (bought one male and five females), and once I see they are preg they get separtated to their own tub, (reduces pressure and less eating incidents, I hope). I do give them a week break after the young are weaned at 4 1/2 to 5 weeks old, (as I want them growing strong and sure they are eating themselves to get 150-190 gm food). I feed biomare and currently chasing Laucke rat food as an addition and add carrots mainly as the rats love them, (plus try some variation for them with other bits and pieces).
Currently this seems to work, so I'll stick with it for now.

Just a quick question for other rat breeders, what ages do u safely wean your rats?
Ive looked it up and says 5-6 weeks but i reckon there eating food as soon as they can see it.
i wean mine at 22 days , by then they are eating food . as for food i feed them cummins millings cubes , corn , carrot , pumpkin . i will be weaning my super mice at 22 days aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back