Rat & Mice breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midol

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I'm going to be breeding my food a little differently to most people - I've done searching and asked on various forums (but not here) on the best ways to humanely breed rats and mice. I've come up with some rules I'll be setting myself but the last thing I need is the age of the rats/mice at their various sizes.

I'm only breeding for personal use and selling off excess (so I won't be breeding unless I need food) so no breeders need to worry about me stealing customers :p I'd just rather breed my own when I have 1 Water Python, 2 BHPs (future) and considering a pair of Olives in the future.. By future I mean 3-4 months.

?????????

MMMMMMMMMMM. l must be missing the point of this thread !!!!!!!!!!!...cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Sorry, my question wasn't clear (but it was in there):
"last thing I need is the age of the rats/mice at their various sizes. "

I forgot to reiterate it at the end, basically, I'm after information on how long on average it takes both Rats and Mice to reach the standard sizes. As I'll only be breeding each female Rat/Mice 3 times at a maximum and 6 months apart and at a minimum age of 8 I need to carefully plan.

:)

i dont believe there is a true standard for size. what one breeder calls large will be medium to another. i have allways worked on weights as a 150gram rat will allways be 150gram. Quality and amount of food feed makes a difference to the time taken for the rodent to reach a given weight, as will litter sizes make a difference to the time taken from birth to weaning. the larger the litter the longer it takes till they can be weaned

That would depend upon various things including the strain of rats and mice you have; litter size; age of mother; temperature; food quality; social pressure-number in each tub.

Ahhh, I was hoping it wouldn't be that hard but I suspected it might!

I guess I'll just have to play it by ear for the first year or so then work out a routine from there.

wranga, I noticed that with the two stores I go to. Ask for the same size, rarely will both stores present similar sizes.

Thanks for your assistance guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back