Raven Care Sheet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey baz, the one way i know how to sex birds when there is not obvious difference in appearance between the sexes to feel around their bum. If the two bones are far apart its a girl, close together its a boy as the females require the extra space so they can lay eggs. Ravens are fantastic animals, I fondly remember watching the bird show at Toronga Zoo and they brought out a raven. It's treat was tied to one end of a length of string and the other to a branch and it was dangling. The raven using its feet and beak pulled the string up and got to its treat. apparently self taught as well. They have also been known to use traffic to crack hard nuts, they drop the nuts on the pedestrian crossings at intersections, wait till the nut gets cracked and then retrieve it when the crossing light is green.

good luck with tookie, he/she is in good hands,

Andrew

smart little buggers. how often do you see them on the side of the rd?

Didnt say it was Jenny craig how many Raptors birds of prey have you raised and released personally?
Myself I have reared and raised and cared for Hawks, Ravens, Crows, Magpies, Frogmouths and owls, far from having a go at you my only interest is in the welfare of the animals
I've raised rehabbed many tawnys, magpies, currawongs, ravens, nightjars, butcher birds, goshawks, boobooks, barn owls, kites, peregrines, nankeens, little eagles and wedge tails. I even have a wedgie pre release aviary about 2k from my homestead, released 3 from there in the last 12 months. So i do have a bit of experience with these animals, simple fact i stated is roo alone is too lean for a captive diet for carnivore/raptor and contains no were near the average dietary intake of a wild bird

Some recent pics of the raven that was bought to us..

Hopefully going to join the local crew of ravens that live in the pine trees behind our house.
I doubt it though as they seem like a tightly knit communinity and i think tookie will need to spend time with the larger flocks of birds that are more his own age.

Attachments

• azqs.JPG
    azqs.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 48
  • hth.jpg
    hth.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 42
  • htrty.jpg
    htrty.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 42
  • mkuyk.JPG
    mkuyk.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
Good luck with it....I'm not quite sure how anyone can hate any animal, just doesnt make sense to me. Although I must admit there are some humans that I hate....but non-Homo species...definitely not!

Ravens are incredibly intelligent animals, should make a very entertaining family inclusion.

Tookie is still with us, this morning i heard a fight and went outside and tookie was getting beaten up by one of the older local ravens.
Hes ok but i worry about him now and i hope he will get along with the others one day.
tookids.jpg

y68o87.jpg

tkiyuj.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

ookj.jpg

tkp.jpg

tki.jpg

Tookies dog face, the face he makes when there is a dog around
tkl.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
that is SOOOO cute!!!!!! You know, there's a legend. The Tower of London is host to a flock of ravens, has been for hundreds of years........it is said that if ever the ravens leave the tower, then England will fall. Tehy live free, are not caged, yet they do stay!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back