Raven Care Sheet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go Bazz they are on licence now I am waiting for mine to arrive. The person to speak to would be Matt Borg, or follow the magpie rearing diet.

I said they are vermin but I did not say to kill them or to hurt them did I. Also Hix did you read my post properly....they also eat native reptiles ect....

This is all very interesting reading Baz, as my kids have just brought home a young Magpie from the park :rolleyes:

My first question was, where did it comes from (nest location), were the parents present, can it fly?? blah blah blah No to all questions. So damn it!! Here it is at home. Seems to be feeding and happy and we are trying to keep it warm and quiet. Will post a pic later also.

My success rate with birds is appalling, but I can't just leave it! It'll either be eaten by a cat or die with all the rain about. Doomed either way I reckon - so here I go again, hopefully I can have a win this time.

Food for an adult Magpie can include worms, lean mince or kangaroo meat, which can be purchased at pet shops. Crushed quality dog biscuits can be mixed with the meat. Wombaroo Insectivore Rearing mix or Vetafarm InsectaPro should also be mixed with the food, this can be purchased from most veterinary clinics. Do not attempt to feed the bird by hand, as this will stress it more, leave the food in the box and it will eat when it is ready.
A baby bird can also be fed the same type of food, but be sure that meat is sliced very thinly, or minced. Hold the meat with a pair tweezers, dip into water and hold above the magpies head. It will beg for the food by stretching its head up high, lower the food into it's mouth. If the bird doesn't beg then don't force it to eat. Contact an experienced carer as soon as possible.

Courtesy of FOURTH CROSSING WILDLIFE

You can teach them to talk very well (better than parrots apparently) teach him to say ever more

Did you know the British royal family have a flock of Raven in the tower of London?

the myth goes that they fear if they are let loose the tower will crumble and hence the Royal family will cease to exist.

i am very disapointed with the close minded attitudes displayed by some of the people on this site.

Good on ya, ssssnakeman.
Ravens are beautiful and highly inteligent animals, the only birds i would really like to keep.

Yes they do clean up the afterbirth and they also do kill the sick lambs...but they also kill plenty of healthy, strong lambs too. A sheep has no way of defending its newborn lamb against crows when there is usually a few of them attacking the lambs eyes and bum...they incapacitate the lamb them go in for the kill...Not nice to see or hear, and can be devastating to farmers.

They are absolute vermin, they also attack young native marsupials as well as reptiles. Not nice animals but very smart.

Exactly. If you guys had seen what I saw them doing that morning to those lambs - I was traumitised by it. At the end of the day, if I found, or was given a baby crow, I would do what I could to give it a good life. I raised a SPARROW when I was younger! He was the best!!! So don't get up me :) Like I said, I was just having a rant!

I said they are vermin but I did not say to kill them or to hurt them did I. Also Hix did you read my post properly....they also eat native reptiles ect....

So do Kookaburras and all other predatory birds....so what if they eat reptiles, thats nature.

i want a raven :D

i actually brought home a fledgling pee wee a few nights ago to care for a few days till it was ready to release.
i brought it home and put it in some towels in a 'pet pack'. anyways i fed it just before i went to bed, (bits of small cut up soft fruit) which i was recommended.. then i woke up early to give him another feed and the poor thing was dead :( (i now think i should have stayed with my original idea of tiny bits of minced kanga or other meat with a bit of wombaroo mix on it...) they are insectivorous right? and fruit i think... anyways i feel sorry for the poor thing.. i think it actually died of stress, because of the car trip home. it was shaken and didnt look very happy when i got it home. next time ill be more prepared i guess. anyways thats my bird story! (not to hijack thread, but if there is anything i did wrong please tell me so i can learn from my mistakes..)

bump

ill make it a new thread if nobody wants to read this one.. i'd really like to start caring for birds so feedback please! thanks

xx Nat

Maybe its just me, but just want to say in reality when you find an injured wild animal you should not take it in and care for it yourself. Calling up wires etc would be the best as they are far more experience in the matter so the animal would have a far greater chance of survival and eventual release back into the wild under their professional care.

Moose how old was the chick? If it was able to move around and the parents were nearby probably would have been best to leave it. I know of a couple species of native bird whos fledglings spend a bit of time on the ground and short trees etc, I myself ocationally find small fledgling red wattle birds during the breeding season on the ground. When left to their own devices their parents feed them and they climb up into a tree and finish developing.

Andrew

Hix, you are right about anti raven posts. I equate it to the 'a good snake is dead snake" mentality
espoused by people who are scared of them or just plain to lazy to properly research an animal before condemning them.

I was equating the "lets kill them, they kill lambs" statement to the popular "lets kill crocs, they invade our beaches and rivers" cry of the Qld pollies.

Isis said:
Also Hix did you read my post properly....they also eat native reptiles ect....
I did read your post, and ignored that statement as pointless. Native reptiles eat native reptiles too, as do a variety of other native birds and mammals, which Jason pointed out.

SLACkra said:
If it was able to move around and the parents were nearby probably would have been best to leave it.

If the parents were around, I suspect Moose's kids would have holes in the back of their heads - maggies are vicious in the breeding season!

Also calling WIRES for anything common often means a veeeery long wait. I find it easier to take orphans straight to the local vet and leave it there - by law, they have to help any injured native wildlife, and they can't charge you for it. UNless you want to take it home and look after it yourself, in which case take your Amex Gold card.

:p

Hix

The people who found this bird rang wildline and they were given my number, among others because they know we have a shelter.
They told me that the bird was alone and no parents were in sight,only cats and dogs.
That is why its here,i want to see it go back to wild and that is what we are aiming for.
Its up to the raven if it hangs around after we perform the soft release,
once it is old enough.Since it was found less than 1/2 a k from here, we may be able to try release into one of our trees in the backyerd.
This way we can monitor his progress and keep him comparativly safe.
That is so cool inkslinger that they can kept be on licence..I have looked for a link to this information and rung dse a few time with no result.

Last edited:
Keep the pics coming my girlfriends bonded so closely with her (she was the only one feeding and nurturing it ) she had to drive it off in the end as it would attck any family member that came with in 6ft of her!! Still comes to the hose on occasion to say hellow though

I took him out the front for some fresh air when i got home from work,he loved that i think.
He attacked his reflection in the back window of the ute and in the puddle on the tarp.
Pretty soon we had adult ravens visiting to see the youngster.
He seemed to be a bit afraid of the large birds so we took him back inside.

runaway.jpg

tookptr.jpg

Sorry Baz, but in that first photo, it looks like something out of a Pixar animated movie!!!

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back