Raven Care Sheet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide has two species of ravens and one species of crow.

:p

Hix

Ravens are native? I did not know that. we put out poisoned eggs in our empty nest boxes, the only animals that go for them are crows, which are a massive pest. Tookie is a honey, good luck
These are also native birds and should not be killed.

In Victoria, as part of the carers contract, we are obligated to either release the native animal,roo, raven or koala or whatever.
If this cant be done for some reason we then have to euthanise the animal. Its the law people.

In South Australia the laws are the other way around, in that you must keep the animal or euthanise it...In s.a release is illegal..
.I like s.a laws better on this issue because many animals that are healthy get put down in victoria simply for the sake of the red tape.
The laws are the same here in NSW. The registered carers need to release the animals or euthanise the animals. Unless they are registered through NSW NPWS as an educational animal and the organisation can only have a certain amount of educational animals on their permit, so a lot of healthy unreleasable animals die after a carer has spent a lot of time caring and nursing it back to health.................:evil:

iv imprinted(hand reared) both crows and ravens and they in my opinion are pretty good pets fed them on a variety of meats when they first come to you smash them with kangaroo meat nothing pics conditon up in predatory birds faster (raptors inculded)

iv imprinted(hand reared) both crows and ravens and they in my opinion are pretty good pets fed them on a variety of meats when they first come to you smash them with kangaroo meat nothing pics conditon up in predatory birds faster (raptors inculded)
Roo is very lean for raptors and carnivores, cheap fatty beef mince and supplement is better.

I've just started using roo mince mixed with insectivore mix for tawny's and kookaburras, I think it should go pretty well. Will let you all know.

hey guys..always read whats in the roo mince especially if its from the supermarket..brands like vip etc and make it doesnt have too much preservites in it..im pretty sure its sulphite that does the damage..it depeltes the animals body in vitamins and makes them anemic and can cause death..so always watch that and add vitmins..

I ended up contacting Healsville Sanctuary this morning who in turn put me in touch with a local native bird carer. I had to go away with the young magpie on holidays over the weekend and figured if I could have gotten it older etc I'd have some dramas on my hands with trying to organise the time to care for it - then even if it got to a good age and able for release I've got no idea about imprinting etc etc and the bird would be taken out by a cat or perhaps killed by other birds. I'm gonna miss the little thing, they are very cute, but I'm glad it's been cared for someone who really knows what they are doing.

Surely I've had my first win with a damned bird!! :lol: They always die on me usually, but I'm stoked this one looked stronger and happier than when my kids first found it :D

I ended up contacting Healsville Sanctuary this morning who in turn put me in touch with a local native bird carer. I had to go away with the young magpie on holidays over the weekend and figured if I could have gotten it older etc I'd have some dramas on my hands with trying to organise the time to care for it :D

You can't fool us Moose - you palmed it off because you got sick of the meaty smell of it pooping all the time!

:p

Hix

Baz,

Try these numbers:

Victoria Help for Wildlife 0417 380 687

Victoria Wildlife Victoria 03 9663 9311

Healesville Healesville Sanctuary 03 5957 2800

Thanks pandora, i spoke to healsville on the 1st day,
wildlife victoria actually sent the raven to me as they have me on the books as a carer.
I have all the info i need for now though.
Thanks to all who replied.
Baz

Some more pics, cant wait to release this guy..I have introduced him to our local mob of ravens and they seem to be getting to like him.
Tookie trying to fly

yumk7.jpg

Meeting the locals
yil98.jpg

A local raven
rth56.jpg

Getting his big feathers
oliop.jpg

tooosa.jpg

awwww he is so cute! you have done well with him, hope the release works and he is greatful!

This is not road kill it's replacement feeding. Kangaroo meat alone is less than 2% fat, standard beef mince is around the 7-10% mark. Normal prey for a raptor/carnivore is around 18% fat.
Its not Jenny Craig, animals actually need this to survive.

This is not road kill it's replacement feeding. Kangaroo meat alone is less than 2% fat, standard beef mince is around the 7-10% mark. Normal prey for a raptor/carnivore is around 18% fat.
Its not Jenny Craig, animals actually need this to survive.

Didnt say it was Jenny craig how many Raptors birds of prey have you raised and released personally?
Myself I have reared and raised and cared for Hawks, Ravens, Crows, Magpies, Frogmouths and owls, far from having a go at you my only interest is in the welfare of the animals concerned, not the well meaning if often wrong attempts by animal lovers to help often with no sound experience and more than likely only equipped with out of date second hand information that leads to heart break on their part and an unnecessary death on the animals.

I never said that you feed kanagroo meat alone either! http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s1736797.htm
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_co...life/carers_kit/birds/raising_juvenile_birds/

http://users.zipworld.com.au/~hardpars/faqs.htm
http://www.fourthcrossingwildlife.com/short_term_care_magpies.htm

all interesting and informative reads

Last edited:
Baz

He seems to be doing just fine but if you have any questions give Donna (PM sent with number) a call out at Greendale she knows just about everything when it comes to caring for animals. Donna runs the shelter that i'm a carer for.

How would you suggest catching a Raven, I've got one that needs to be caught and taken to a vet. It's got some serious deformaties which need looking at.

Per

If its deformed the vet will put it down.
I cant imagine a normal healthy raven would be very easy to catch but a sick one might take a bait.
Catch it with your standard sherman style trap or box, stick and string bird trap and dispatch it yourself if you dont mind doing it and are confident you can do it quickly.
Or just take it to the vet for a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back