Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragondragon

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls i was just wondering whats everyones feelings about refrezing rats or quails. I left out around $80 worth of rats and quails last night im just wondering if i could refreze them or do i just throw $80 in the bin.

throw em mate. Not worth the risk

Bye bye money
but I'm sure the garbage man will get a nice surprise to see a small animal farm in the bin

I think that they would be fine.

Edit: You have to ask what could happen and the answer that I can come up with is bacteria that already exists may multiply a little. I also doubt that they would have thawed all of the way through because the amount that is there.

Lol i gave my mate some to feed his snake today yeah i just wanted to be sure

- - - Updated - - -

Nah they all are thawed through they were in two different bags so they didn't have thermal mass. I got side tracked cause one of my geckos laid eggs.

Bacteria will only lay dormant when frozen and not die. Therefore, as soon as they are defrosted they will multiply within minutes. Then there is always a risk that they will poison and even kill whatever eats them.

It happened to me a couple of weeks back when I left the freezer door open a bit. Came back the next day and found the whole freezer had defrosted and I had to throw away $220 worth of rats. Count yourself lucky :)

If you have any friends with monitors then they will be able to use them as monitors are built to eat off meat in the wild. Snakes are not.

No mate, not pythons anyway. Snakes eat live food and in captivity the have to be taught to eat frozen/ thawed.
They are opportunistic feeders that will eat dead prey if they are hungry.

No mate, not pythons anyway. Snakes eat live food and in captivity the have to be taught to eat frozen/ thawed.

are you sure about that? I think Google has let you down on that one....

- - - Updated - - -

Lol i gave my mate some to feed his snake today yeah i just wanted to be sure

- - - Updated - - -

Nah they all are thawed through they were in two different bags so they didn't have thermal mass. I got side tracked cause one of my geckos laid eggs.

They will be fine to refreeze.

Senator358 said:
Snakes eat live food and in captivity the have to be taught to eat frozen/ thawed.
I'm not trying to be "that guy". I'm just saying I have feed a wild snake that was in my back yard a frozen/ thawed rat and it took it no worries at all. I'm just saying a wild snake will eat a fresh dead not moving rat, nothing more nothing less.

crnm.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Even if he did eat it tail first, Hahaha

1y6a.jpg

They are opportunistic feeders that will eat dead prey if they are hungry.

If they are hungry and the food is reasonably fresh they will yes. But the post was talking about roadkill which is generally rotten and fly blown.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the original topic though, if you want to risk feeding refrozen then it's up to you. Your snakes may be fine, they may not be but I'm not willing to feed a bad $2 rat to my $1000 snake. Must be just me. :rolleyes:

If they are hungry and the food is reasonably fresh they will yes. But the post was talking about roadkill which is generally rotten and fly blown.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the original topic though, if you want to risk feeding refrozen then it's up to you. Your snakes may be fine, they may not be but I'm not willing to feed a bad $2 rat to my $1000 snake. Must be just me. :rolleyes:

where are you getting you information from? I have never heard or had a snake die from eating a re frozen rodent... on a side note where are you buying these $2 rats???

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is about a BHP eating its own faeces.

[h=1]Python eating faeces[/h]
That is by no way freshly killed. Nature doesn't always work the way we imagine it. The rats will be fine and not cause harm to the OP's snake.

Most of what the Senator has said is incorrect. Many snakes, even pythons, will eat carrion if they find it in the wild. Overnight thawing is rarely a problem, if the rodent/s were not left under heat or on a heat pad. I frequently re-freeze uneaten stuff, and have done for decades without one problem. When I was dealer in WA and in receipt of only wild-caught snakes, (Stimmies, Carpets, BHPs, Olives, Womas) there was never a problem with them feeding on thawed stuff immediately.

Members should be careful about promoting these ideas (personal theories) when a lot of newbies read them and accept them as fact. As I've pointed out many times when this matter comes up (and andynic07 will appreciate this with his recent thread about his rat-filled Carpet bub...) when a python eats a big meal and the bulge takes days to go down, the animal is actually rotting inside the snake for a few days until the digestive juices take control of the bacteria in the rotting animal. Only when the ambient temps are too high or too low will there be a problem - when the snake's metabolism can't keep up with the rate of decomposition. That's why you should never feed a snake a large meal during a heat wave if you can't keep the ambient temps moderate.

Jamie

Thanks for the advise i decided to throw them out i feed a couple to my mates snake so thats not so bad i don't really want to get them out of the bin so i can deal with losing the money next time ill think about keeping them

Can we get any further off topic Andy.

Our snakes are not wild. Wild snakes often live covered in ticks and have many parasites. Doesn't mean it's ok in captivity.

I have given my opinion and that is that I would not risk it for such a small gain compared to the losses. You cannot guarantee that it would not cause any harm so why tell the OP that it is fine?

Simply because it IS fine. For the physiological reasons I have explained.

But then, experienced keepers only come here for a laugh apparently...

Jamie

Can we get any further off topic Andy.

Our snakes are not wild. Wild snakes often live covered in ticks and have many parasites. Doesn't mean it's ok in captivity.

I have given my opinion and that is that I would not risk it for such a small gain compared to the losses. You cannot guarantee that it would not cause any harm so why tell the OP that it is fine?
Look mate , you have obviously taken offence to something that I have said so I will just leave it that. We have both voiced our opinion and neither can 100% that it will or won't harm the snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back