Re-title: stimson sick -vet vist

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyrant pets

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My pet stimson is pregnant and iv got everything ready for when eggs arrive but just wanted to ask about how she is right now.

Ill attach a few photos of her as of last night. In the photos she is quite swollen in the lower part of body. So my question is:

In everyone opinon how far out is she?

Want to know because in the past she struggled to pass food and i dont want her getting stuck.Screenshot_20200609-063014_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200609-061412_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200609-061453_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200609-061327_Video Player.jpg

Way too early for an egg deposit.
Unless she has a huge abscess, she is badly constipated. An abscess is usually soft, constipation usually makes the area rock hard, especially near the cloaca.
If constipated, try hourly lukewarm baths for a couple of days, but don't wait for too long before you take a more brutal action. Someone with experience. or a vet, could help you to administer an enema.
IF it's an abscess, you can take her to a vet, but I doubt anything could be done.

Way too early for an egg deposit.
Unless she has a huge abscess, she is badly constipated. An abscess is usually soft, constipation usually makes the area rock hard, especially near the cloaca.
If constipated, try hourly lukewarm baths for a couple of days, but don't wait for too long before you take a more brutal action. Someone with experience. or a vet, could help you to administer an enema.
IF it's an abscess, you can take her to a vet, but I doubt anything could be done.
She had issue passing food awhile ago and had an enema at the vets after that i asked if there a health cause they said they could find anything then i described my setup and told its fine.
She has passed food since then.

Ill take her to the vets asap.

P.S I have keep another stimson in the same conditions for 3 years so i dont believe its the housing

Given the timing I'm guessing you're in the northern hemisphere (providing as much information as possible will make it possible to give you a good answer, you've given almost none which make it difficult to say much). Your snake looks to be eggbound (otherwise it has some other problem). Either way it may or may not come good on its own, but if not your snake is going to die. It looks as though it had trouble passing the first egg, the others are bound up behind it, unable to pass.

I'd elaborate, but without more information I'm not sure what's going on, and I may be giving a lengthy post about something which isn't relevant.
[doublepost=1591688156,1591687986][/doublepost]
P.S I have keep another stimson in the same conditions for 3 years so i dont believe its the housing

I had a friend who smoked heavily until dying in her 90s, so I doubt my friend who died of lung cancer in his 40s contracted cancer because of his heavy smoking habit.

You may be right about the housing not causing the issue, but not all individuals exposed to the same problems will have symptoms, and not all will show them at the same time.
[doublepost=1591688482][/doublepost]Given the snake's constipation history, this could be constipation rather than egg binding, but both are likely given the snake's history. Either way, the vet will confirm it, and vets are interventionist, so if there are eggs they'll be coming out of the snake. A vet in this scenario will usually make the mistake of giving an oxytocin injection, will fail, and then they'll surgically remove the eggs. There are better options but vets almost never use them.

If it turns out your snake isn't gravid and is just constipated, your vet will give the snake another enema.

In the first scenario I'd never breed the snake again, in the second, to be honest, I'd be euthanasing.

Given the timing I'm guessing you're in the northern hemisphere (providing as much information as possible will make it possible to give you a good answer, you've given almost none which make it difficult to say much). Your snake looks to be eggbound (otherwise it has some other problem). Either way it may or may not come good on its own, but if not your snake is going to die. It looks as though it had trouble passing the first egg, the others are bound up behind it, unable to pass.

I'd elaborate, but without more information I'm not sure what's going on, and I may be giving a lengthy post about something which isn't relevant.
[doublepost=1591688156,1591687986][/doublepost]

I had a friend who smoked heavily until dying in her 90s, so I doubt my friend who died of lung cancer in his 40s contracted cancer because of his heavy smoking habit.

You may be right about the housing not causing the issue, but not all individuals exposed to the same problems will have symptoms, and not all will show them at the same time.
[doublepost=1591688482][/doublepost]Given the snake's constipation history, this could be constipation rather than egg binding, but both are likely given the snake's history. Either way, the vet will confirm it, and vets are interventionist, so if there are eggs they'll be coming out of the snake. A vet in this scenario will usually make the mistake of giving an oxytocin injection, will fail, and then they'll surgically remove the eggs. There are better options but vets almost never use them.

If it turns out your snake isn't gravid and is just constipated, your vet will give the snake another enema.

In the first scenario I'd never breed the snake again, in the second, to be honest, I'd be euthanasing.

Im located in perth western australia.

She booked into the vet in 2 hours time and i will update this after i find out the result.

Thanks for the input

Im located in perth western australia.

She booked into the vet in 2 hours time and i will update this after i find out the result.

Thanks for the input

Okay, extremely unlikely to be gravid then, unless they're old dead eggs from last season (history of the snake would make this much easier to diagnose). Most likely she's constipated again. If this is the second time it has happened it will most likely be a recurrent issue. You'll get more information in the next few hours anyway.

Okay, extremely unlikely to be gravid then, unless they're old dead eggs from last season (history of the snake would make this much easier to diagnose). Most likely she's constipated again. If this is the second time it has happened it will most likely be a recurrent issue. You'll get more information in the next few hours anyway.
I got her 6 or 7 months ago she is roughly 4y2m old now and as far as i know never been paired before.

I paired her late march, april and may for a week or so at a time.

I got her 6 or 7 months ago she is roughly 4y2m old now and as far as i know never been paired before.

I paired her late march, april and may for a week or so at a time.

That mass is definitely not eggs assuming she's never been paired before then.

Heres the vets theory of what it is:
Could be any of the following
-marked oedema
-gastrointestinal or issue with reproductive tracts
-suspect stricture causing obstruction

Thank all of you for the opinions and advise.

So what's the plan from here? It's a fairly critical situation.
Shes in over night and i have two options.
endoscopy which if shows an issue could mean surgery or it shows nothing and another enema.

Second is because this is a recurring problem and how serious this is it could mean euthanasia. By no means am i rushing into euthanasia but the opinion of the vet is that if endoscopy shows nothing and she gets another enema its likely to happen again in a few months.

Its grim news sorry.

Yeah, sorry to hear that. As I said above, for me personally, if it wasn't gravid (which given what you then said became clear) I'd be euthanasing. Tough situation, I don't envy how you must be feeling right now.

Latest posts

Back