Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day all,

I've recently been away on a trip to WA and NT for 10 or so days. Got back just in time for the Expo. Heres a few pics of what i saw. You may have seen these photos of you're on my email list or a member of another forum i sometimes post on. There will be some non-herp photos here, but DON'T FREAK OUT. Some reptile ones will swiftly follow.

First stop in the NT was in the Daly River Catchment area. This are is about to be screwed at the end of the year when the moratorium on landclearing is lifted and clearing resumes. Intensive agriculture will be pushed in this area to boost some agenda.... enough politics and poor decisions, more pictures! Heres the Daly River, from helicopter.
DSCN3704.jpg

The catchment area is basically a big wetland in some areas. Enormous! HUGE!
Heres a brolga that was getting around (again from helicopter).
DSCN3726.jpg

The area has it's fair share of feral pest. We also saw buffalo and donkeys. Here are some feral Horse i photographed.
DSCN3730.jpg

That the end of the Helicopter shots, here is a really small picture of some long tail finches that are all about the place. Very cute animals.
DSCN3832.jpg

Heres an Orange leaf nosed bat that was unfortunately a DOR. Threatened species they are. In some areas we saw quite a few buzzing in front of the car, which may indicate that they are locally common in that area, or that they simply have travelled far and wide to hang around the road.
DSCN3689.jpg

Here's a common-as-muck Gehyra australis that i found on the roof of a nice sandstone cave on dusk.
DSCN3778.jpg

Everyone seems to be very keen on Night Tigers at the moment. Heres one we caught trying to creep quietly behind our quads without us noticing.
DSCN4140.jpg

DSCN4145.jpg

This is a very sweet northern nail-tail wallaby being raised by carers.

DSCN3811.jpg

DSCN3813.jpg

DSCN3789.jpg

Another macropod. Antilopine wallaroo.
DSCN4097.jpg

BHP. Found on the side of the track.
DSCN4157.jpg

DSCN4160.jpg

The best find of the trip. Vermicella intermedia. Note the lack of internasal scales! Found under a tent that had been set up for 5 days.
DSCN4053.jpg

DSCN4025.jpg

DSCN3998.jpg

DSCN3974.jpg

**All photos are property of Henry Cook. They may not be used without the express permission of the owner.

All the best,

-H

that bhp is not bad i have seen worse in captivity must of been one fun trip and whos helicopter was it

Yeah it was fun. I had another thread about a trip in feb (goooone now). It was better, and longer, and we saw more stuff.

-H

geez you get around Nephrurus. How does one join such a trip

Heh..... for a trio of brevicauda i could look into making it happen. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And, as with everything, the old adage applies here as well. It's not about what you know, it's about who you know.

-H

It's good to see the night tiger I went to katherine in easter and saw nothing but ghost bats due to the population of cane toads there was nothing but them to see. Apparently the cane toads are starting to kill alot of the wildlife down there including pythons, monitors, goannas, elapids, etc etc. But I hope to see more then just cane toads on my next trip to Katherine. Hope you enjoyed the daly H :D

Stunning photos, you had quite a trip, full of wildlife. I love the Wild Brumbies galloping along, great shot. The Wallaby is adorable, and that night tiger - just stunning. Great photo skills. thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back