Recommended Greens/Vegies for young Beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decoy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
In terms of veggies and greens for young Beardies, is there anything in particular I should avoid? I've just seen a blog that said never to feed them iceberg lettuce. Anyone know why, and if there are any other greens that are to be avoided?

Any info would be appreciated, cheers.

Lettuce doesn't have much nutritional content, and with birds it can cause diarrhoea. I feed my dragons more vegetables than fruit. There are three basic things you need to control in their diet: Oxalic acid, Phosphorus and Potassium. The first can cause problems with Thyroid function in high quantities, the latter two are more to do with calcium absorption.

I give mine a mix of: Pineapple, tomato, nectarine, peaches, pear, apple, banana, rock melon, bok choi, pak choi, silverbeet, grape, orange, apricot, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, squash, butternut pumpkin, peas, mung / green / kidney beans, parsley, basil, mint as well as dandelion and clover flowers. If you feed lots of things in small quantities (silverbeet, broccoli and banana) then the oxalic acid, phosphorus and potassium problems should be avoided. Should have mentioned: avoid Rhubarb, as the high amount of oxalic acid it contains may prove fatal.

If you find that they are not interested in their veggies, try chopping it up really finely and dropping it on to a plate in front of them - if it looks like it's alive they want to eat it. Either that or put maggots in it :)

View attachment food_list.pdf Here is a food list l use.
I feed the following daily and add a couple of extra's.
Daily - Endvie, nasturtium flowers and leaves, dandelion flowers and leaves, carrot greens, beetroot greens, turnip greens, celery greens.
Extra's - Rose Petals, Bok Choy, Impatient Flowers, guranium flowers, lavander, mint, parsley, rocket

Yoda seems to like red things best like strawberries and red rose petals and nasturtiums. To get him to eat his greens l started with a mixture and l added just a little puree'd apple and a couple of superworms
The worms were the thing that worked because they moved the greens round. After a couple of days, he was eating greens with no worms

Last edited:
this list comes in handy :

Nutrition Content

Mine mainly get : basil, clover, Dandelions, mulberries & leaves alot as they are all growing in my backyard.

I also thought you cant feed them citric fruits like lemons, lime, mandarins and oranges but i might be wrong because Rahni29 said she feeds them oranges??

Orange is fine to feed, the main thing is to control the quantity - don't only feed them orange, etc.

Oh yeah I might try that, what nutrition value does it have that benefits the dragon.

Orange is good for vitamin C, also, if they like the taste you can rub a little on other fruit or veggies that they are not so keen on (as it is quite a stong flavour it works better than some other food items).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back