Red-bellied black or small-eyed snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rbb mate probably after frogs

- - - Updated - - -

They also get trapped in there found a few dead ones in the past

Given the red colour appears on the lower lateral scales, ( which it doesn't in small eyeds) I would say RBBS.

It's too hard to make a call on which species it is from the footage shown imo. Although it looks superficially more like a Red-bellied Black Snake due to the red underside it could be a Small-eyed Snake.
The first specimen would not be the parent of the second specimen, as adults are considerably bigger than that. The animal that is still in the pool will probably need assistance in getting out. One of the safest ways to do this is to put a branch in the pool next to it.

Last edited:
parents dont hang around with the offspring

Last edited:
Thanks, both. I've put a branch in the pool that it can easily climb up to get out. So far, it hasn't moved much yet.

You're welcome mate. Has the snake used the branch to get out yet? If not you could use a pool scoop to get it out with little danger to yourself. If it is a Red-bellied Black Snake it's not an aggressive species and since it's been in the pool for a while and it's only ~24 degrees, cloudy and overcast where you are, it probably won't move fast because it's body temp is most probably quite cool. If you're not confident doing this then just ring WIRES or SnakeCatchers.com

Last edited:
I wish I could have 2 red bellies turn up at my house over 2 days.

Well done!
That looks more like a Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) to me.
Reasons being, the snout tapers towards the front rather than being more broad and rounded like in a Red-bellied Black Snake. Also, it looks like it has relatively small eyes compared to the large eyes of a RBB. How big were it's eyes?
There are a few more things that make me think that it's C. nigrescens. Namely, the belly of the second specimen in the pool has a uniform red colouration, whereas in RBB's the belly scales are conspicuously edged with black giving it effectively black belly bands. The red colouration in RBB's is also strongest on the lower lateral scales and sides of the belly scales and becomes paler towards the centre of the belly.
I also think that the behaviour i.e movements of the rescued specimen look more like that of C. nigrescens to me, as it is desperately trying to seek shelter underground and this is more typical of this species, which is nocturnal and usually found under rocks etc. thus the more pointed snout and burrowing behaviour.

Last edited:
The eyes look relatively small to me as well, as can be seen in those pics. I can confidently say that is definitely a Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) due to eye size, head shape and behaviour as detailed in my previous post.
I think that both specimens are in fact C. nigrescens because if you look closely at the first specimen in the filter trap, you can see another feature that is often characteristic of this species that can be used to distinguish between them and the Red-bellied Black Snake. Namely, the posterior edge of each lateral scale in particular is paler than the anterior edge. Whereas the black scales in RBB's are more uniform tonally. I've never seen a Red-bellied Black Snake with this distinctive pale posterior edge and a dark anterior edge. Here's a link to a page where there's pics that illustrate what I'm talking about: Eastern small-eyed snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) at the Australian Reptile Online Database | AROD.com.au

Last edited:
It's definitely a Small-eyed snake. Quite clear from the head and body shape, lack of dark edging on the ventral scales, lustre of the scales and the way it is moving.

Regardless of anything, you're a champ NorthSouthWales ;) Nice work...great respect! Kudos!

Thanks! :D

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The first picture below is taken from the original camcorder video and the second one from a (bad) photo camera picture. Maybe they help.

View attachment 300381View attachment 300380SESPoolBasket.jpgSESPoolBasket2.jpg

Last edited:
wow, well done letting him out
those ants though! viscious!!
Beautiful species whichever it is :)

dont know why everyones saying redbelly .. clearly when its zoomed up on in the video you can see the head and body shape clearly screams small eyed

edit: just saw the most recent posts .. atleast someone said small eyed lol

I have only just worked my way through this thread. My initial reaction to the first video (skimmer box) was RBB. You might say it "screamed" RBB to me - dark black snake, water, red lateroventral colour, hint of black edging, and a reasonable size and build. Perhaps these are some of the reasons. For us less gifted individuals, it required a closer second look.

When I got the vid to stop at the right point (after 5 re-runs... am a technological dinosaur) I reckoned Small-eyed. The red colour is restricted to the ventral scales (which have an arrow-head end shape versus lower laterals which have the scale in front over-lapping). No dark edges to ventrals. RBBs (in contrast to Small-eyed) have a ridge above the eye, both eyes are visible from directly above and the snout is squared off rather than rounded.

I also initially thought the second individual looked more like a young RBB but one glance at the eyes in that in still confirms the little one’s ID.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back