Red Naped Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nvenm8

Reaction score
Saved this little fellow from a certain appointment with a shovel. I am glad that my neighbour had the fore-thought to call me.
Damn cute little bugger too.
Hope the Photo's are ok.

Furina diadema -for those interested in. technical names.

Good on ya, very cute snake.

No, just having a bit of fun. They do strike but rarely open their mouths.

The Red-naped Snake, Furina diadema, is reddish brown, often with a reticulated pattern on the back. The head and nape are black with a conspicuous red or orange coloured patch on the back of the head. It has 15 rows of mid-body scales, a divided anal scale and 35-70 divided subcaudal scales. It is a small snake with a maximum length of 40 cm.

Why would you use a shovel on such a little snake :(
Collect him up and move him or just wait for him to move along.

Beautiful little snake.. I tossed over the idea some time ago of getting a pair of furina ornata's (orange naped snake) but from what I heard they are difficult if not almost impossible to get onto pinkies.. so decided against it.. but a very interesting and apparently seldom kept species..

Any one keep these guys, furina or ornata and have any success with them?
I would be interested to hear anything concerning captive maintenance and or breeding success with these guys. thanks..

Very nice little snake.

So what do these guys eat if mice are out fo the question?

Any one keep these guys, furina diadema or ornata and have any success with them?
I would be interested to hear anything concerning captive maintenance and or breeding success with these guys. thanks

oops :D

I don't know much about them myself, but have heard that wild or legally WC animals mainly feed on small lizards which presents a legal problem. The method to get them onto pinkies would be to scent a pinkie with a road kill lizard and try that... and from what I"ve heard that can take quite some time...

thats why I"m curious if anyone has kept these species and what problems they encountered including feeding and how they solved them..

nvenm8, did it bite you? it looks very calm in the pics.

They eat skinks, and ive seen them eat samll frogs. If you find some CB ones and your serious about keeping them im sure if you collected a few small skinks for them nobody will make a fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back