Redbelly Black Snake Venom

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustypython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Got a strange situation as you sometimes get.

Was driving home tonight and seen a snake on the road so did a U turn and went back, it appears to be a red belly black snake but only a light pink underneath, and had a head injury, it wasnt happy to see me but will take a closer look in the morning.

I decided to collect him and take him back home to take to the vet in the morning and placed him in a normal esky, but he has bled all through the esky from the mouth. What do you think the chances are that venom got in the esky, and what do you think the chances of being able to wash it out without getting a nice dose of venom on my next fishing trip when I crack open a few tinnies? Couldnt see much on being able to nutrilze the venom anywhere.

Cheers.

G'day mate,

The snake would have been a Small Eyed Snake, Cryptophis nigrescens. As Cement suggested, just give it a quick rinse out. There wouldn't be any venom in the blood, and if there was, once you give it a quick wipe out it'll be harmless anyway.

Cheers

Cool sweet as, poor little sucker not doing too well, *** Toowoomba and **** resouces

since venom is basically protein, i'd imagine anything that would denature it would probably do the trick
a relatively strong acid, heat, n perhaps soap?

don't take my word for it tho, it'd be great to hear from others with more experience with this

Its head is allot different to the small eyed snake, looks more like mulga snake than anything, but cant see stuff all in this unit or light and not putting my hands in there, got to wash snake blood off my jumper where he had a crack

Jonno or snake pimp will probably be able to confirm or correct this, but I believe the colour comes up the sides a little with red bellies, while the colour is only on the ventral scales of small eyed snakes. Is this the case?

A red belly is far more superficially similar to a mulga than a small eyed snake is, before reading that I figured it would have been a small eyed snake as well

Last edited:
It is more so on the ventral scales underneath, looks like it is not going to make it through the night, I will try to post some pictures of it on here tomorrow :-(

That sux mate, hopefully he pulls through. At least you didnt just leave him on the road though

Bleeding from the mouth is never a good sign.don't suppose you know if he was bleeding from the nose as well?i wouldn't hope to hard,i think you at least saved it from a horrible death from other cars or predators.you are a good person for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back