Regulating temps in coastal's enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal_Cleo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've just moved my 12 month old coastal python from her click clack into a larger enclosure. I had the temps perfect in the click clack but I'm struggling to maintain perfect temps in the new enclosure.

During the day the warm end sits around 30-32°C using a ceramic heat globe and a heat mat under the sand with the thermostat set to 33°C. The cool end is about 25°C.

At night the warm end drops to 25-27°C (air temp above sand, sand on top of heat mat remains about 32°C) and the cool end can get down to 19°C on a cold night (usually about 20-21°C in the evening).

My coastal is still feeding well (as she always has) and recently had a shed before moving into the new set up. She seems to be spending a lot of time in her hide (on top of the heat mat). I've only been handling her for feeds and maintenance as to give her time to adjust to her new home.

I'm just wondering is it ok to be getting so cool in the enclosure in the evening, and is there anything else I could be using to maintain temps at a more consistent reading?

Just wondering:

Type of enclosure? Glass?wood?

What wattage che? How far away from basking spot? 31 is an ok temperature and 25 at night isn't bad either.
Something I do during winter is just to put some towels over the front where cold wind could come through, this helps a bit :)

Yes that is fine. People worry too much about temperature in my opinion. Think of what it is like in their natural environment. You don't get many nights through the year where the temperature is above 25.

Just wondering:

Type of enclosure? Glass?wood?

What wattage che? How far away from basking spot? 31 is an ok temperature and 25 at night isn't bad either.
Something I do during winter is just to put some towels over the front where cold wind could come through, this helps a bit :)

Thanks for your reply. I just placed a folded towel on top of the enclosure (on the warm side).

It's a glass enclosure, roughly 2x2x2, 60watt globe and it's at the top of the enclosure on the warm side. I'll try to attach a pic.

This is my first snake and even though I did a lot of reading before getting her I tend to worry as I just want her to be as comfortable as possible!

I wouldn't have the towel on there at all, not until next winter anyway.

Is your heatmat under the enclosure or inside under the sand? If it is inside the enclosure, you need to take it out and put it under the enclosure as they are designed to have airflow.

Is your heatmat under the enclosure or inside under the sand? If it is inside the enclosure, you need to take it out and put it under the enclosure as they are designed to have airflow.

It's in the enclosure. I had it outside when she was in the click clack but I was worried that it wouldn't get warm enough being outside of the large enclosure as it has more to heat through. Will it still heat effectively outside of the glass enclosure as it has about an inch of sand on the floor?

Yes it will heat effectively. Having it inside the enclosure is dangerous. If it happens to fail for any reason your snake could possibly be in contact with live electrical current and also possibly noxious fumes.

as a side note i'd ditch the sand and get kritters crumble if you want something natural 'looking'

Last edited:
Yes it will heat effectively. Having it inside the enclosure is dangerous. If it happens to fail for any reason your snake could possibly be in contact with live electrical current and also possibly noxious fumes.

Thanks for your input. I have moved it outside the enclosure, will keep a close eye on temps for the next 24hours.

as a side note i'd ditch the sand and get kritters crumble if you want something natural.
kritters krumble isn't natural,it's krap! If you're talking natural you mean wood chips or bark or something similar.But you have the right idea, sand is not the natural environment for a snake,especially a coastal who is a climber.Rocks and branches would be the go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back