Removable Branches

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickson

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
To enable my pythons to climb I used to cut a tree branch and screw it onto the side of the enclosure, or wedge it in place from one side to another. This presented a couple of problems – cleaning the branch could be difficult if the snake crapped on it, and if I needed to remove the snake from the enclosure and it had other ideas, it could be fiddly trying to disentangle the snake from the branch.

I recently bought an enclosure from a member of this site – Artie – and he had a system in place which I think is great and so simple.

Instead of screwing the branches in place, screw a couple of tri-corner braces (available at Bunnings) onto either side of the enclosure. Then cut a branch to length and sit it in the braces. If you flatten one side at the ends it will stop it from rolling too much. These can then be lifted straight for cleaning or replacement, and is an easy way to get a snake out of the cage without even bothering to disentangle it.

This idea has probably been around for a long time, but I hadn’t seen it before, and I thought other members that also hadn’t seen it might be interested.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 81
thats a great idea hix. especially for cleaining. its a bit hard trying to clean a branch thats screwed in place and have a snake trying to bite you at the same time. cheers
mel :D

They look like a great idea.... I might go looking for them at bunnings
Thanks for the heads up!

What a great idea,i will keep that in mind,as im building some enclosures myself.

just adding to the post so i can show my hasbeen when he creates a fantastic one for me :) .........i just have to keep at him and do my wifey duties ,,,,but its dragging on ...................

Thank you for that idea Hix, you've solved a problem for me, even before I got to ask the question!! I will definitely be checking them out at Bunnings.

The other technique used by the masses is a saddle drilled into the side of the enclosure and a picture hook(3/4 hook) screwed into the branch. the hook fits into the saddle snuggly and is easily lifted up.

Attachments

• Hook .jpg
    Hook .jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 59
Thats pretty neat! All my branches are fake, make of plastic or rubbery stuff, and even there a pain to clean. Thanks for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back