Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is done properly yes. However there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that it is often done at home, without proper anesthesia or the training to administer it correctly if they have any.

Dont know but it is a absoloute moronic practice and really is a very unneccecary thing to do you may as well have a python.

Dont know but it is a absoloute moronic practice and really is a very unneccecary thing to do you may as well have a python.

TOTALLY agreed............................. get yourself a python if you don't want venom.................... they're MUCH better looking in some cases too!

I absolutly agree with walker.. What's the point? So it can't give you a fatal bite? Then get a bloody python.

In Australia this procedure is prohibited unless there is a veterinary reason for the surgery that is there must be a reptile health reason to remove them, it is prohibited under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and from what I understand, also under the code of practice for veterinarians.

If it was to be conducted then it should be conducted under anesthetic as it is an operation, reptiles do feel pain and it also would have to be done by a vet.

flame suit time i think. really dont know why people would be so cruel. how is the snake suppost to feed when if dosent have venom to give a fatal bite? why would you want a venomous snake without the venom? if your so scared of what the venom could do dont own the snake

One of the purposes is to enable a person to demonstrate to the public the animals in "safety", reducing public liability and also workcover insurance, however this procedure is not something that we would ever consider, good training and a healthy respect for these animals is required and an understanding that there are inherent risks in working with them. It is possible to work with the animals and reduce the risks as demonstrated by numerous reptile demonstrators around Australia.

In a perfect world the people removing them would do so with anaesthetic and only under the circumstances snakehandler mentions. However, there are people who take it upon themselves to do it for reasons slightly less than ideal, and choose not to use anything to help ease the animal's pain.

Shame Karma isn't always literal, it'd be nice if one day they found themselves strapped to a board, whacked in the freezer for a while and sliced up in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
In a perfect world the people removing them would do so with anaesthetic and only under the sircumstances snakehandler mentions. However, there are people who take it upon themselves to do it for reasons slightly less than ideal, and choose not to use anything to help ease the animal's pain.

Shame Karma isn't always literal, it'd be nice if one day they found themselves strapped to a board, whacked in the freezer for a while and sliced up in a similar fashion.

Could always try the vasectomy or castration of humans in the same way.............. now THATS Karma!!!!!!

From the professional removal of glands by vets not only overseas but in Australia (at a reptile park) it has not been demonstrated that the removal of glands affects the snake when eating and digesting food, as they are already eating dead prey....again this is not something that we condone!

There is a guy that does it. forget his name but he just cools the snake before procedure. No anesthetic is used. However keep in mind it is only a 3mm cut.....

This is quite a touchy subject and often doesn't end to happy.

snakehandler nailed it i feel...
if you dont want to keep, handle or work with vens that have venom glands than as far as i'm concerned you shouldn't work keep or handle them as the level of caution is not displayed to the public or to viewers of the handler, the whole 'if it bites me, i'll be fine' so in turn the attitude of the handler or person training with the animal changes to that of a atttitude that is inapproperiate when working with animals that have not had not had their venom glands removed, especially if they have been trained on those that have. They are able to bite with a deadly bite for a reason and should remain that way.
With that in mind most would keep thier wits about them when it comes to handling, and training.

I feel those that have been trained on snakes that have had their venom glands removed are ill equiped to work with animals that have not been under the knife.
Apperently there is evidence to suggest the venom gland can regenerate...

there is no real sense in it and should remain illegal unless to due cause to reasons other than save a buck in public liability insurance, health and safety and personal safety . There is many ways to still be safe while handling and working with a ven, there is no real need to remove the gland!!!

There is a guy that does it. forget his name but he just cools the snake before procedure. No anesthetic is used. However keep in mind it is only a 3mm cut.....

This is quite a touchy subject and often doesn't end to happy.

not talking about Raymond Hosser from SnakeBuster are you??? he's done it before, and uses them in public displays and training..

I think you will find that it is not illegal yet, but you'd be hard pressed to find a "reputable " vet that would do it.

In Australia this procedure is prohibited unless there is a veterinary reason for the surgery that is there must be a reptile health reason to remove them, it is prohibited under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and from what I understand, also under the code of practice for veterinarians.

If it was to be conducted then it should be conducted under anesthetic as it is an operation, reptiles do feel pain and it also would have to be done by a vet.

Has action been taken against those who have carried out the procedure at home?

Per

Actually it was banned a number of years ago as it is an unnecessary operation, just like tail docking in dogs!

There has been evidence in the US of regeneration or possibly it was that the vet missed a small part of the gland, but nothing definitive. In a recent VCAT hearing it was put forward that there is evidence of regeneration of other parts such as eyes as well.....however there is a lack of clear evidence either way.

It is not only one person that has had this procedure done here, there are others, but very few will admit to it.....however, NO we will never accept them as nothing can beat good quality training and safety procedures.

As far as I am aware no person has been prosecuted, however a "stern warning" was given by DSE and RSPCA, the procedure is banned and there is the threat of prosecution. But then again, how often do we hear of RSPCA doing anything about cruelty to reptiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back