Render ?

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by MathersD, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathersD

MathersD Active Member

Hi all . So I have rendered my tank . What a mission . What should I use to seal it . Thats cost efficient and looks good . Must be clear . Would prefer a spray can . Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

2. ssnakeboyy

ssnakeboyy Active Member

Hi Mathers, i cant remember the name of the sealant i used but if you cant find any in a spray can why not just get a spray bottle and mix the sealant with water so its thinner and just spray it on? Also take a look at lizard landscapes if you havent already as they help with what products and techniques to use.

3. Rogue5861

Rogue5861 Very Well-Known Member

I used pond sealer, you can put it into a spray bottle an apply it that way but i found it a lot easier just using a brush.

Rick

4. bdav70

bdav70 Guest

When I was reading into it, pond sealer was the go, but for a 'dry' (and small) setup such as mine outdoor PVA (possibly called professional or something like that) with about 5 thin coats and a light scattering of sand between coats to reduce the sheen did the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rogue5861

The sealer i used was only $19 for a 1ltr container and it doesnt take much to apply to a background, i build a big 1200x700 background that stuck out 300mm from the wall that maybe used 400ml.

[​IMG]
    It doesnt have much shine and i didnt need to add any sand, if anything it improved the colour of it all.

Rick

6. bdav70

bdav70 Guest

[MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION] that's an excellent result, i'd have used it myself if I knew it had such a nice low sheen. There must be less effective products on the market because a lot of what I read was people cautioning others about how high gloss some of the pond sealers could be. nice work!

7. Rogue5861

I used the one bunnings sells, its called Crommelins Pond Sealer Clear. Seems to work quite well in my opinion as i have washed over it a few times with no ill effects to the render, the ridge tailed monitors also run up and down it all day and it has stood up to their sharp claws.
    [​IMG]

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.