Reporting pet shops?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raycarpetpython

Reaction score
Even though I would love to, I can't/won't name the shop. I had someone come to my house this afternoon with intentions of buying my exoterra nano tank. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this enclosure, it is 30cmx30x30. This person was told by this particular pet shop that it would be fine to house a baby bearded dragon in it for atleast 12 months. Yes I realize this person should have done their own research prior to almost purchasing this enclosure, but I hate the fact that incorrect information is still being passed on through the majority pet shops.

Apart from this I have visited the store several times over the last year to find the adult turtle housing is insufficient.

I guess what I am asking is, how can I spread awareness about this particular shop to forum members etc if I can't openly name the shop? I will be reporting them to the authorities first thing tomorrow.

Also I realize there are plenty of threads/posts like this, but for me it is a bit of a vent too so I apologize in advance for that.

I share you passion about pet shops. We have one particular one here where I live, that I have had to visit when I have run out of frozen food, and now refuse to go. They had puppies crammed in a small cage, (Dane puppies) NO WATER in their bowls, dead fish floating in their tanks and when I went to see if they had frozen feed, it would a appear they were buying them from someone who had just been sticking the rats straight into the freezer, they had chewed their feet off, eyes still open it really was a terrible experience. I won't publically name and shame, but I do warn people. I did report them to the RSPCA but nothing seems to have been done about them, as they are still open, and I still hear other stories from other people that have been there recently about the poor quality of the shop....

Look generally speaking this pet shop is ok, it is nothing like what you have described about your local pet store. Personally I think if I saw that pet shop in person I would happily cop the assault charge:) there is no excuse for poor husbandry. This is something I take very seriously as I'm sure all of us do. Anyway if someone can point me in the right direction that would be good:)

i know what you mean about pet shops i was there the other day picking up a spare bulb and i herd the lady that works there saying to a customer just put your bredli out in the sun every day and he should be fine because they can hold the heat !! i live on the central coast and the weather is not suatable for a bredli with no heat !! it really gets on my nerv when people pass on wrong information ! i ended up going up to that bloke and helped him and he bought everything that was nessesary so im glad i saved a little snake haha
cheers Josh

I would appreciate a pm too, if you can.
Ive seen some terrible stuff in pet shops :'( but there a few out there that are good

We have some dodgy one's down here too. Went into one the other day, which has more than one outlet and was appalled to see a little darwin python with no hide, only a tiny bowl of water and the most dreadful shedding, which was all over him like a broken, saggy bag and he had no way to rub it off. I spoke to the man at the shop (who was very arrogant) and suggested that perhaps the little fellow could do with some humidity and a hide in his enclosure so he could shed properly. The man said "Rubbish; snakes get sick if they have humidity. He's fine. I am having the reptile people look at him tomorrow". I almost bought the poor thing out of pity and I just hope the "reptile people" did come the next day and fix him up. There was also a parrot in a small cage there, lying on the floor on it's side, trying to scratch at it's eye with one claw, and it's wings were all hunched. The other animals in the store did all have food and water though.. but I really hope their other outlet isn't this bad!

I suggest you don't put a cent in the till of any store your not happy with, times are tough so support the stores who 'are' doing the right thing. Maybe we could also 'name and shame' private keepers who provide inadequate care for their critters...

Apart from this I have visited the store several times over the last year to find the adult turtle housing is insufficient.

Unfortunately "most" turtle enclosures are from America OR based to accommodate Red Eared Sliders which are considerately much smaller than our natives.

We have some dodgy one's down here too. Went into one the other day, which has more than one outlet and was appalled to see a little darwin python with no hide, only a tiny bowl of water and the most dreadful shedding, which was all over him like a broken, saggy bag and he had no way to rub it off. I spoke to the man at the shop (who was very arrogant) and suggested that perhaps the little fellow could do with some humidity and a hide in his enclosure so he could shed properly. The man said "Rubbish; snakes get sick if they have humidity. He's fine. I am having the reptile people look at him tomorrow". I almost bought the poor thing out of pity and I just hope the "reptile people" did come the next day and fix him up. There was also a parrot in a small cage there, lying on the floor on it's side, trying to scratch at it's eye with one claw, and it's wings were all hunched. The other animals in the store did all have food and water though.. but I really hope their other outlet isn't this bad!

Where was this pet shop? Pm me if yo could please. Thanks

just as in many things in life these days ........ BUYER BEWARE.
The seller will offten say anything to sell.... especially in a shop.

I had a negative experience years ago, reporting someone for animal cruelty.
This old guy was breeding & selling ferrets from his home & advertising them in the papers.
I've had ferrets in the past so I was genuinely shocked when he was offering to sell me a ferret pup whose eyes hadn't opened yet & to top it all of, he insisted they eat bread & milk.
When he told me that he had already sold the mother, I bought the poor pup out of pity only to have the vet put it out of its misery 2 days later.

So I made an official complaint to the RSPCA who suggested I "complain" to the Ferret Society first. The Ferret Society in return told me they were aware of this old man & a) couldn't legally do anything about it & b) needed more people like me to make an official complaint before they could approach the RSPCA themselves.
No action was taken & the guy still advertised afterwards.

It's sad how most organisations wait until an animal or various animals have died from improper housing, etc :( I went to a pet shop today and they had for sale a female rat that looked horrible! She was infested with mites, had fur missing, eye infections and an upper respriatory infection :( It hurts to see animals in such poor conditions.

There was one reptile shop I was able to report many years back. It STANK! The enclosures were infested with shed skin and crap. there were 8 beardies kept in a 2ft tank, diamonds kept in 3 ft tanks with crickets and fish in aquariums so disgusting the water was green with floating 'blobs'!!! It was horrible :shock: And the guy running it didn't even have a permit!!!! He was breeding and selling animals to clueless people...I shudder everytime I think of it. My dad bought one of my beardies from there as a surprise. We had no idea of keeping reps at this time. My poor boy, he is tiny from being mis fed...his tail has been chomped off and he's missing 2 toes :( I still love him to bits though, I'm glad my dad 'saved' him. He is the prettiest boy ever :D

Back on topic, that shop was only shut down after he shot a cat that belonged to the next door neighbour. It wasn't because of the poor way of keeping the animals or the fact he kept 6 border collie pups in a vertical bird cage :(

Ooh, Australia really have to pick up on their animal cruelty laws!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back