Reptile/Amphibian recommendation for specific terrarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonrep

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got an Exo Terra Small Tall - 45x45x60cm and I'm looking at getting a reptile or amphibian. I don't have any prior experience with either. I was looking to setup a rainforest style environment and was originally looking at frogs but I think they might be too loud.

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Thanks

Smaller skinks maybe, my two eastern water skinks love their 120L converted tubs, plenty of space for them. You can probably how two of these in a 120L tank or something similar sized to the tank you have provided there are multiple hides , basking spots and they can have their own space when they need it.

You could have female frogs, which make zero noise as it's only males that croak. Try doing a natural, bioactive setup, they look great and are easy on maintenance! Live plants are the best!

You could have female frogs, which make zero noise as it's only males that croak. Try doing a natural, bioactive setup, they look great and are easy on maintenance! Live plants are the best!

Many female frogs including perhaps Australia's most popular species the Green Tree Frog call. This commonly makes people mistake females for males.

I'm guessing you haven't spent long keeping animals in bioactive setups.

My female GTF has never croaked like a male does in 7 years. She will however let out that classic GTF distress screech if the boys harass her too much. Lol

But yes, female GTF's definitely do call in the wild.

My female GTF has never croaked like a male does in 7 years. She will however let out that classic GTF distress screech if the boys harass her too much. Lol

But yes, female GTF's definitely do call in the wild.

You may have an unusual one but most call in captivity. You can get them to call either by simulating rain or calling to them; with a bit of practice you should get the hang on making the right noise which will make them respond, I've called to a few captive females which people say don't call and they've almost always responded. Rain will also set them off (when it's raining outside). Most of them will also just randomly do it from time to time. You do get some random individuals which don't call, but that includes males.

You may have an unusual one but most call in captivity. You can get them to call either by simulating rain or calling to them; with a bit of practice you should get the hang on making the right noise which will make them respond, I've called to a few captive females which people say don't call and they've almost always responded. Rain will also set them off (when it's raining outside). Most of them will also just randomly do it from time to time. You do get some random individuals which don't call, but that includes males.
When my soundbar hits the right bass notes when I'm watching TV or listening to music, I've found the male's will ramp up. Could possibly sound like thunder to them? Rain outside always triggers it.

When my soundbar hits the right bass notes when I'm watching TV or listening to music, I've found the male's will ramp up. Could possibly sound like thunder to them? Rain outside always triggers it.

Either thunder or he may think it's another frog. I used to experience the same thing when keeping frogs, it was pretty funny! Haha!

My female almost never calls in captivity, unlike my male which calls every evening. Yes, she can call, but generally doesn't unless showering and is a very quiet pet. I've been keeping bioactive setups for 2 years with great success and zero maintenance. My frogs have never been so active since I moved to bioactivity. I've had my frogs for 8 years.
Whilst you may be against bioactive setups, I'm not. That's not because I don't have experience, I do. Perhaps I've just set mine up differently to you (i.e, better.)
Thanks for your input.
Bye.

My female almost never calls in captivity, unlike my male which calls every evening. Yes, she can call, but generally doesn't unless showering and is a very quiet pet. I've been keeping bioactive setups for 2 years with great success and zero maintenance. My frogs have never been so active since I moved to bioactivity. I've had my frogs for 8 years.
Whilst you may be against bioactive setups, I'm not. That's not because I don't have experience, I do. Perhaps I've just set mine up differently to you (i.e, better.)
Thanks for your input.
Bye.

I'm not 'against' bioactive setups, but they're a lot more work than non bioactive setups. If that makes you happy, that's great. If we want to put it to a reality test, let's just consider that big breeders don't use bioactive setups, they use more practical systems. You can not clean out an enclosure if you want to, and it'll either be filthy or you've set it up extremely well and it actually works, but this takes a lot of effort (I'm not saying that's bad, you may love it, that's great, but it's a lot of work and it's not easy for a newbie to get right and certainly comes with a lot more risk to the animal when inexperienced people are doing it). If anyone says bioactive setups are zero maintenance they're kidding themselves or lying. If you put the work into getting it right in the first place you may indeed get a low maintenance result, but nothing is zero maintenance. I'm not saying it's bad, hey, knock yourself out and have as many bioactive enclosures as you want, have fun, I'll admire it and be first to congratulate you, but it's not the most practical option. And if I still haven't been clear, I've never said everyone needs to go for the most practical option... this just isn't it.

I'm not 'against' bioactive setups, but they're a lot more work than non bioactive setups. If that makes you happy, that's great. If we want to put it to a reality test, let's just consider that big breeders don't use bioactive setups, they use more practical systems. You can not clean out an enclosure if you want to, and it'll either be filthy or you've set it up extremely well and it actually works, but this takes a lot of effort (I'm not saying that's bad, you may love it, that's great, but it's a lot of work and it's not easy for a newbie to get right and certainly comes with a lot more risk to the animal when inexperienced people are doing it). If anyone says bioactive setups are zero maintenance they're kidding themselves or lying. If you put the work into getting it right in the first place you may indeed get a low maintenance result, but nothing is zero maintenance. I'm not saying it's bad, hey, knock yourself out and have as many bioactive enclosures as you want, have fun, I'll admire it and be first to congratulate you, but it's not the most practical option. And if I still haven't been clear, I've never said everyone needs to go for the most practical option... this just isn't it.
Ok, fair enough. Thank you for the clarification. Yes I agree, they may not be the most practical for a large-scale reptile facility, but I've found them to be a joy to keep and maintain. Yeah, I agree that they're not 'zero maintenance,' however the majority of maintenance I've found to be most aesthetical (i.e trimming plants and stems) and of course there is water.
Anyway,
Thank you.

Ok, fair enough. Thank you for the clarification. Yes I agree, they may not be the most practical for a large-scale reptile facility, but I've found them to be a joy to keep and maintain. Yeah, I agree that they're not 'zero maintenance,' however the majority of maintenance I've found to be most aesthetical (i.e trimming plants and stems) and of course there is water.
Anyway,
Thank you.

Right, so it seems we actually agree :) They're more time consuming to work with than other options and if you want the most cost and time efficient option, this just isn't it, that's what I was saying. They're also far more difficult to set up than conventional options. But, yes, some people love them and are happy to put in the extra time, work and research for the sake of enjoying something which almost everyone would agree looks quite beautiful and is very interesting. It's the sort of thing I enjoyed playing with when I was a teenager and if when I'm an old man pottering around the house I consistently have a lot of free time on my hands I might do it again, and I admire anyone who gets it right and makes it work long term. I think I did make the assumption that you would be in the majority of people who don't make it work rather than the minority who do, so I'm sorry for that.

Thanks all for the replies.

Smaller skinks maybe, my two eastern water skinks love their 120L converted tubs, plenty of space for them. You can probably how two of these in a 120L tank or something similar sized to the tank you have provided there are multiple hides , basking spots and they can have their own space when they need it.

I think this is what I'm most interested in. Would they outgrow the terrarium? Also can you recommend a care sheet?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back