reptile baby sitting

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by matt, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt

matt Not so new Member

hey everyone how are you going, i have come up with an idea, which enables me to enjoy the hobby of reptiles while earning some money, i have thought about baby sitting peoples reptiles when they go away on holidays and i was just wondering whether this is legal or am i unable to do this? i would really appreciate your imput...

thanks matt

2. Reptile_Boy

Reptile_Boy Very Well-Known Member

depends i have thought of it as well. and i was going to ask the same question soon but you beet me two it

3. crush the turtle

crush the turtle Suspended Banned

no one will trust a random with thier herps

4. matt

matt Not so new Member

yeh i thought alot of people would of coem up with the thought, and yes i can see what you mean about people trusting you andtaht would be an obstacle,

5. imalizard

imalizard Very Well-Known Member

Maybe you could tell them about you or give them a sheet saying that you are good with reptiles or something

6. Brock Lobster

Brock Lobster Well-Known Member

You would need to have great security, permits/council approval & testimonials wouldn't go a stray.

7. crush the turtle

crush the turtle Suspended Banned

lol no chance...

8. Reptile_Boy

does 5 dogs, 3 guns and a dad who is a bikie count as great security?:lol::lol::lol:

9. matt

matt Not so new Member

lol, well i couldnt think of much more security than that.

10. Nelly

Nelly Active Member

Would have to be a decent length holiday. I figure if the snake doesn't eat for a week before you leave (so it excretes anything left in its body) and you clean the enclosure... a two week holiday shouldn't be a fuss. Anything longer and you might be looking at issues.

Two friends of mine are heading over to NZ for six months. I'll be babysitting their 3 children's while they're gone.

11. Clairebear

Clairebear Well-Known Member

If you stayed at there place it would be just like house sitting. I used to house sit people's animals all the time. It's great fun as long as they pay you (as it can be expensive not living with your folks when you're a student!!!)

12. meshe1969

meshe1969 Well-Known Member

In Victoria they are licensed to an address, you are only allowed to take them from that address for a vet visit or if you have sold it. So you would have to visit the house they live at on a regular basis and the owner would have to give you keys to there home, can't see a lot of people doing that.

13. Brock Lobster

No. Unless your dogs are for some reason ravenous, your guns are carried by someone who is able to shoot in a security situation (not defense).

14. beeman

beeman Suspended Banned

Why would you want to put yourselves in that sort of a position as you could be looking after
    reps that are carrying mite or a virus and you will most certainly bring it home to you own reps
    and risk a major clean up or worse death of you snake.

15. matt

matt Not so new Member

he everyone thanks for your input i reallly appreciate it. it was just an idea and obviously it wouldnt work so thanks for the help

16. Brock Lobster

I think if you had the right amount to invest, the right insurance plan, good credentials & a strong & reasonable business plan, it could work.

17. Jacqui

Jacqui Not so new Member

hi ya
    I started an animal sitting business last year and have had it registered and also have got an abn..the hardest part about having such a business is having the insurance ..my insurance covers me for animals in my care and transportation of the animals also death of an animal in my care..its expensive to start the business but once u have it up and running with clients its good.. it cost me about $6,000.00 to start with all the lic and rego and insurance & equipment u need..I am also a veterinary nurse so ppl tend to trust me..also i'm a justice of the peace so i have had police checks but you do need to have all the right insurance and rego.. good luck
    Jacqui

18. LizardLady

LizardLady Guest

Hey Matt!
    I do "critter-sitting" as well, no probs with quarantine etc, they have to bring sutiable enclosures, I just have them out in my reptile room. I charge per week/per animal, plus food (I know someone who was charging an AWFUL lot...).
    FWIW, I'm an established business here, so have (I hope!) a reasonable rep!
    It's not "easy", by any means, especially when you get landed with a fair few at a time! Extra enclosures to clean, time, energy etc...
    If you have the room, and you're okay with your electricity bill going up for a while (I think the minimum time I've "sat" for is three weeks...!), heating your house/room, etc, then go for it!
    Hope this helps!
    Best,
    Carolyn

19. beeman

beeman Suspended Banned

dont mean to be rude but you would have to be nuts
    to bring someone elses rep and enclosure and put it into your rep room
    That provides no quarantine at all for you or the other person

20. Reptile_Boy

i would do it. i would just keep em away from my reps ( i have plenty of places) now would you have to get a permit of npws

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.